Still In school

3 Replies

So I have been on bigger pockets now for a couple months, and I absolutely am obsessed with real estate and everything it has to offer. I currently go to college in Minnesota, I'm from here and its been a great experience. I took some time off to enlist in the Minnesota National Guard to help pay for school which has helped out but not like I thought it would. I also did a tour overseas, so here I'am today 23 and still in school. I have some debt not a lot though and I'm just trying to figure out what my first step would be in owing some real estate? I feel it's difficult since I don't have a  lot of money to begin with and I already have some debt.

@Dean Ravenscroft

I would talk with a lender regarding the VA loan program. I believe they have very low down payment options and they will be able to tell you what your purchasing power is.

Cheers, Sawyer 

Hey thanks for the great tip, I think I'll start there first

@Dean Ravenscroft ...well you've got a pretty awesome name, so you're already ahead of the game! haha. 

Welcome to BP. I'm in the Air Force myself and just got started investing about a year ago. Personally, I think you're in an awesome position right now. If I was you, I'd use your VA entitlement, like Sawyer mentioned, and get yourself a 2-4 unit multi-family. You can rent the other units out to friends or just other college students. That, along with whatever stipend you're getting from the guard, should set you up nicely for when you graduate. Feel free to send me a message if there is anything I can do to help.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.