What is the actual definition of a "rental door?"

3 Replies

Newbie question here. As I research REI I keep coming across the term "per door" but it seems to have different definitions. Let's assume we are talking about a typical 3/2 single family.

In one article it is suggested to allocate $100 per door/month for maintenance for each door (not sure if that only applies to multi-units or single family).  Does that mean I should allocate $500 or $300 per month for maintenance?

In a craigslist post a seller talks about "rental door" and defines that as the number of front doors (the ad is for several triplexes).  In this case he has a Triplexes and states "3 rental doors" but each unit is a 2/1.  Should he state "9 rental doors?"  Would my maintenance cost on the triplex be $300 per month (front door) or would it be $900 per month ($100 for each bedroom and bathroom door in the building)?

I want to make sure that I use a valid rule of thumb when evaluating property.  

Thanks!

The traditional definition of a rental door or a door for that matter is a single rental unit.  A duplex would be two doors no matter how many actual doors where on the property.  A single family house is only one door. 

I hope that clears things up for you

Josh

Yes a "door" is just another way of saying a unit. So your maintenance question is $100/unit/mo not per actual physical doors in a property. So your craigslist poster's got it right. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.