First REIA meeting

21 Replies

what advice would you give a first time atendee? What questions should i ask or what should i be looking for? 

Don't get on anyones buyers list.  they are not the investors you want to meet.  Initially just try to learn more about other people, you have to learn to discern between the real investors and those that just came from the local guru meeting over the weekend. 

Im going to my first meeting next month as well. Nervous but excited.

Take business cards and network, network, network!  Introduce yourself and talk to as many as you can.  You should be able to figure out which cards to keep and which ones to discard.  Don't try and come across as something or someone that you are not.  Just be yourself.  Good Luck, Mike

Thanks jonathan an yeah chris same here just hope i dont make a fool of my self. 

Originally posted by @Michael Hicks :

Take business cards and network, network, network!  Introduce yourself and talk to as many as you can.  You should be able to figure out which cards to keep and which ones to discard.  Don't try and come across as something or someone that you are not.  Just be yourself.  Good Luck, Mike

Thanks mike, now what should i have on the busniess card? I do not have a busniess yet. So should it be my name an number? 

Hey guy's, i have a couple of ideas on a busniess card tell me what you think. 

Eric mikesell 

Future real estate investor 

Xxx-xxxx   

Or 

Eric mikesell 

Willing to do whater it takes 

Xxx-xxxx

Or something totally different?  

Be yourself on the business card. Put down your a Real Estate Investor. You buys houses. Don't make yourself bigger than your ready are. 

Name, phone number, email address.

That's it. Keep it simple. 

First one I ever went to several years ago = Didn't say a word. 

I watched & listened and tried to pick up on as much information as I could :)  Second time around was much smoother as my nerves were in check because I knew what to expect!

Originally posted by @Steve M. :

I watched & listened and tried to pick up on as much information as I could :)  Second time around was much smoother as my nerves were in check because I knew what to expect!

I feel like that's how I am going to be, Steve. I am kind of shy when it comes to meeting new people

And Eric, I would suggest just putting real estate investor on your card. Dont put "future" on there or "willing to do what it takes" as it may come off as you aren't as confident. Just my 2 cents

Just talk to people and meet other people that interested in real estate.   Most of these meetings are really just real estate guru wannabes trying to sell their coaching and courses.  Pretty soon you realize that the "RIA" is really a business and you are the customer.

Thanks for the replies and i see your point chris kerschen. Think i'll do a stupid simple card and ask em out on a date lol or at least a cup of coffee. 

Originally posted by @Chris Kerschen :
Originally posted by @Steve M.:

I feel like that's how I am going to be, Steve. I am kind of shy when it comes to meeting new people

I'm not "shy" per say ... but I was certainly out of my element.  I'm actually quite the talker ... haha

Good luck!

Yeah I guess Im just more of a quiet person rather than shy but I can see where you are coming from

The biggest piece of advice I'd give is to relax and just go meet some people. There aren't any special questions to ask or clothes to wear. Just tell people what you're trying to do, ask them what they do and maybe ask for their advice or any referrals they can give you (possible deals, contractors, real estate agents, etc.)

Whenever I'm out of my element ~ I tend to take the "wait & see approach"

REI's come in a variety of flavors. By going about it this way, I can size people up to see who may be just the right people to network with.

Well i just ordered my busniess cards and they should get here right before the meeting. Now im getting nervous lol.  

this is all good advice. I'm in the same boat as well. My question is should I bring my current 9-5 job business card or create totally new ones? 

I know purchasing cards isn't too expensive so I want to go in with the right appearance/attitude. 

I can not answer that george chang. As i am a stay at home father i just put my name, REI as job title, my number and my email. Super simple and only got 100 of them so i can always change them up when i get more invested.

Well i finally went to my first REIA meeting and cant wait for the next one. Had a great time, good group of people and a lot of info.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.