Seller Objections

10 Replies

My first time calling a seller wasn’t exactly what I expected, I was nervous and I wasn’t’ sure and 100% informed on certain things. The seller ended up hanging up on me and I was left with no opportunity. And so my questions is when you are calling sellers what are the most common objections or rejection answers from potential sellers? What is the best way to address each of these common objections? I need guidance in this matter BP community !

I learned very quickly you don't use the word investor. That turned people off instantly because they thought I was out to swindle them. 

Instead, ask them questions about if they are selling, why they are selling, and what they are planning to do. Then you can start to explain, without the jargon of the business, what it is you can do to help them.

Check out Bob Marx sales courses on Udemy.com. I believe they have a sale right now for any class for $10/$15. He's got some basic sales training stuff that might come in handy. 

There's thousands of objections, so there's really no way to cover them all. Dont worry about the first few sellers hanging up on you, lets face it we all sucked on the phone the first couple months. The best way to learn is through experience..you'll be amazed how much better you become just doing a few per week. Here's the most important points when talking with sellers: 1) Control the conversation 2) Build Rapport 3) Mirror and match 4) Find their motivation and solve their problem Good Luck!

Build a personal connection.

Frank

This post has been removed.

Objections are just needs for more information. Selling is really problem solving. You would be calling if they didn't have a problem. I would ask basic questions to put the person at ease. If they hang up on you no big deal. What did you learn from the call. Pro baseball players become all stars by striking out 7 times out of 10.

@Steven J. Thanks so much for your advise. i like the tip on not telling people immediately that I'm an investor and more of a helper. 

Thanks for asking this question and also appreciated all the responses as I'm a relatively new investor and haven't had sales training. Great to think about how to approach potential sellers.

People generally don't care what you know until they know that you care. After introductions ask why they are selling and listen. Take the time to build report. Let them know you care and are here to help. Finally seek to make to appointment.

thank you @Anthony Henderson very much appreciated. Im loving that approach I'm hearing from a few other people.

@Kathy Bayer we are all here to learn. once we stop learning we become obsolete so I'm here to pick up everything i can on BP. and also share whatever i can throughout this experiance. much luck to you Kat i the trip state area. stay in contact. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.