Looking for guidance

12 Replies

My wife and I live in Sarasota, FlL and weare ready to dig in and get started in flipping homes,  and unfortunately we seem to keep stumbling. We recently inquired with Freedom Mentor, until red flags started popping up and we found it to be a scam. We have leads on a few homes but trying to find Investors is becoming an issue. I guess that it is why we were looking into Freedom Mentor, but as the saying goes "if it sounds too good to be true. Then it is"Any helpuful suggestions on funding would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to BP @Darren Pearce

I would say stick around the Biggerpockets forum, read blog posts and listen to Brandon and Josh's podcast. That should be way more valuable.

My husband and I are also looking into investing in the Sarasota area, but not as flippers but as buy and hold investors. Good deals are hard to comeby though!

You came to the right place at the right time..Seek and you shall find your mentor. I recommend getting started without using non of your money or credit..

No company avatar mediumArmond Wright MBA, The Wright Team | [email protected] | 5672771235

Hello Armond, u said its better to start investing without involving ones money...its sounds so interesting but what of in a situation where the mortgage loans accessible are at an interest of 20% and a tenor of 5yes max? Is this advisable.

@Mark Brogan undefined

Thank you mark...what were the the major challenges you faced as an investor when you started?

I keep hearing people say don't use your own money or credit when starting out. Where do I find investors to front the money

Hi all,

As a resident of Sarasota, I can tell you that there deals around.  Finding them takes a lot of work. Active member of SREIA.

Feel free to give me a call.

Hello! I live in Nashville, TN. I am 20 years old and do not and (probably) will not have a college degree. I am currently an admin assistant for a general contractor, no real estate experience, or really any work experience other than the typical teenage food business years and current office experience. I have been having a rough "finding myself" phase lately, trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I have an interest in real estate, but I also have no money saved. Other than the 90 hour learning and exam and licensing, where should one start with little to no knowledge but desire to get into the business? I read something on here earlier about a Live in Flip strategy- which would be awesome as me and my boyfriend would love to get our own place once the funds allow. Of course we would need to save for a down payment and such. I enjoy the idea of fixing up the house myself to sell. But then again, I know nothing and have nothing to start with for now. Just looking for any helpful, insightful tips that could get me going. Real-Estate is booming near where I live as so many people are moving to Nashville. It would be great to get a head start and make a great living and career! Thanks in advance!

@Darren Pearce

@Kelsey Damron

I agree with @Kate H. ! Biggerpockets has opened in doors in many areas! I'm still working on building the relationships for mentorships, but search mentor and the blogs, forums, and educational tools here have what you need to build trustworthy relationships with ideal and successful real estate investors. I also suggest networking with local folks here on BP so that they can suggest great programs and mentors to you as well! Watch Podcasts and read and network! I've been on here almost 2 months and it's pushed me into action and great relationships! 

@Kelsey Damron

What you DO have on your side is youth, energy, and time!  I often wish I had started at your age instead of 47!  Stay on Bigger Pockets -- listen to ALL of the podcasts twice (that's like getting a college degree on its own!) and from there decide what niche of investing seems like it would be your passion.  Love people?  Maybe buy and hold landlording.  Able to swing a hammer and do some plumbing?  Maybe start flipping (and eventually work to have other people do that part!).  Love the art of the deal?  Maybe wholesaling is for you.

Figure out what you think you might like, then find some nearby people on BP that are doing or have done that, and offer to buy them a cup of coffee and ask them to tell their story, and maybe offer to help them in some small way on their next deal, anybody can sweep a floor and haul junk out to the dumpster!  Great way to get an education and who knows, you might just find a mentor or future partner!  Keep it fun!

Hi @Darren Pearce ,

I am a new investor in Sarasota/Lakewood Ranch. I am looking for someone to partner with. I have some cash available if you would be interested in collaborating together on a project.

Thanks!

Ian

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you