Finding owner of a vacant lot!

3 Replies

Hi BP!
My husband and I are in the process of acquiring our first home to flip - (exciting)!

It comes on a nice size lot, however we were informed that the vacant lot next to it is actually two lots. 
The first lot (#12) is for sale by owner and based on the size of the advertised lot, there still leaves a nice size lot available. It is not part of the property we are purchasing (#16)

After long and exhausting searches on line, it seems that the lot in between (#14) is owner-less! We have contacted the city but are waiting on a response. 

How would we go about acquiring this lot, it would be a great addition to our properties value when it comes to reselling our flip!

Any/All suggestions welcomed! 

Thank you! LP

Laura-

Pull the plat from the recorder's office and see if you can glean more information.  I have found that many times an over-sized ownerless lot is actually a paper street where a road was slated to be built or is a dedicated drainage easement that cannot be built upon.

If the parcel is not recorded or  platted, start to do a chain of ownership to where, and if, it might be encumbered somehow.

Originally posted by @Russ Goodman :

Laura-

Pull the plat from the recorder's office and see if you can glean more information.  I have found that many times an over-sized ownerless lot is actually a paper street where a road was slated to be built or is a dedicated drainage easement that cannot be built upon.

If the parcel is not recorded or  platted, start to do a chain of ownership to where, and if, it might be encumbered somehow.

Thanks Russ! 

I plan on heading to the recorders office in the morning to see if we can figure it out - if we can secure the lot to pair with the property it will be a great boost for sale price afte. All work is said and done. 

Thank you so much for your input!