Columbus, Ohio

31 Replies

Hello all,

I am band new to this and would like to invest in the Columbus, Ohio area. Does anyone have any recommendations on real estate agents focusing on investment properties or general contractors they would like to share? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @Ryan Hand

Welcome to BP. If you are looking to buy through a realtor, I recommend Donny Thompson with ERA realty. He is a property manager and can steer you to rentals that will be good buys.

If you are interested in turnkey, which is a great way to go when you start, I recommend American Wealth Builders. I've bought two hassle free properties through them.

Message me if you need contact info.

Good luck with everything!

Ryan Hand same with me Ryan! Would like to connect and see what you have experienced so far!

@Ryan Hand I'm a licensed agent/property investor here in Columbus.  let me know if I can help in any way!

Darrin Wesenberg, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015000744)

Hello!! My name is Veronica and I am also very interested in investing in Ohio, and this is new to us ( my husband and me). We are from Argentina living in FL at the moment. I would like to connect with newbies as ourselves and with people with more experience 

Originally posted by @Ryan Hand :

Hello all,

I am band new to this and would like to invest in the Columbus, Ohio area. Does anyone have any recommendations on real estate agents focusing on investment properties or general contractors they would like to share? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are plenty of real estate agents that focus on investment. David Panzera is a local member and offers property management and very good advice for first time investors. He really helps break down things and I recommend an on site visit with him. I sell mostly Student housing multi family and multi family around the city. What kind of investment agent are you looking for?

Robert Ellis, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2014002724)

I'm new to investing and looking to get started in the Columbus area. I have been looking at the REOs in Columbus, low priced properties with a lot of work. Does anybody have any experience with this market. I'm pretty much ready to go, would like to network with some like minded investors experience or new. Thanks

Hi Ryan!
Also in Columbus area, I'd love to connect! Welcome to BP!

Hey Ryan, I've been rehabbing and selling in Columbus for the past 8 years.  Feel free to reach out if there's anything I can help with.

It's not a good time to buy residential investment properties in Columbus. Too much homeowner-interest driving up SF prices, and too much out-of-state and international interest in multifamily driving down cap rates. I recommend everyone here hold tight for a few years. And whatever you do, don't buy anything under 40k/unit. You will lose money in the long run. It's all ****. Talk to people who have been operating here for 5+ years. They will confirm.

Hi Ryan And group. I am a wholesaler located in Columbus and would love to connecting with everyone on BP. If I can help In any way let me know. 

Hi, @Ryan Hand and welcome to BP! Thanks very much@Robert Ellis for the recommendation. Ryan, we do have an investment focus brokerage with sales property management, so feel free to reach out and I'm happy to help with questions. 

I do agree with @Peter Lohmann about not buying properties under 40K. There are just too many risks involved. Right now we're actually seeing numerous multi-family proprieties hitting the market and working with some investors to run numbers and project cash flow to see if those properties work for them; two folks have closed on new multifamilies in the last two weeks. That's really what it's about in any market -- if it works for the numbers you want, and you're working with the right team to help you figure out what those are, you'll make a good investment. 

@Peter Lohmann what is the logic behind not investing in anything under $40K a unit right now? Also, even if there is a good deal to be had, do you not have confidence in Columbus's near-term economic future?

@Joshua Smith The logic behind it is that there is not enough rent income to cover the expenses and leave a profit. There are many many posts on this forum about avoiding 30k-40k dogs. 

I have very high levels of confidence in Columbus near and long term economic future. Just not in bad neighborhoods.

@Peter Lohmann Got it. I've been looking into the Southern Orchards neighborhood. It seems like there is a decent amount of investment going on around the Parsons Ave. Corridor, with a new library and hospital close by. Are you confident in that area - Southern Orchards?

I'm also a new investor who's interested in renting multifamily properties in Columbus Ohio. Would be great to connect with anyone who's interested in / involved with Columbus market!

Originally posted by @Nancy Brook :

Hi @Ryan Hand

Welcome to BP. If you are looking to buy through a realtor, I recommend Donny Thompson with ERA realty. He is a property manager and can steer you to rentals that will be good buys.

If you are interested in turnkey, which is a great way to go when you start, I recommend American Wealth Builders. I've bought two hassle free properties through them.

Message me if you need contact info.

Good luck with everything!

Hello Nancy,  I just found this post and your comment on American Wealth Builders.  It's been a year since you wrote this post and I would be interested in hearing about your experience with them in the last year.  I am researching OH as an option for out of state investing and I have been researching turnkey providers for a while.  You post got my attention, I visited their website and liked what I saw.  I plan to schedule a call with them but I would be interested in hearing about your experience. Thank you.

I have invested in properties in Columbus for last 10 years most recently here are 2 deals for single family I bought

311 Webster park ave (Clintonville ) purchased for 172k + 10 k improvements - rents 1650 , appreciated to 260-300k now - it's been 9 months . (It's a 3/1)

7321 bride water (43235) it's a 3/2 as well 9 months old - 1000$ cleanup, rents for 1350. Appreciated to 140-ish...

These are good zip codes - very good cap/returns IMO

Shay

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you