What options do I have for buying a property?

What options do I have for buying a property?

Investor · Stafford, TX · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone,

I want to get started in REI, but my debt to income is too high. I have excellent credit and access to my VA loan, so I don't have to put any money down. Does anyone have advice on what I can do to get started?

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Mankato, MN · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
11y

David I'am in the same boat as you, Im also a veteren and have looked into a VA loan myself. If you qualify its a great way to start out in REI. The thing is with a VA loan is that you have to live in the dwelling you purchase for atleast two years. What other investors on here have suggested to me is to buy a duplex and rent out one side. Your tenants will cover your mortgage and you should still be able to clear a profit.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    11y

    Here are just a few choices you have for financing or controlling property.

    Joint Venture

    Hard Money

    Private lenders

    VA loan

    Option

    Wholesale

    Seller Carry Back 

    Most likely your greatest challenge will be how to find a profitable deal.

    Many ideas are well covered on Bigger Pockets:

    Here are just a few to get started:

    1) Listed property

    2) Craigslist

    3) Buy from established wholesalers

    4) Network at investor club meetings

    5) Direct mail to specific sellers/situations

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2013 · 178 posts · 57 votes
    11y

    What do you want to do?  Flip, or hold?

  • Mankato, MN · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    David I'am in the same boat as you, Im also a veteren and have looked into a VA loan myself. If you qualify its a great way to start out in REI. The thing is with a VA loan is that you have to live in the dwelling you purchase for atleast two years. What other investors on here have suggested to me is to buy a duplex and rent out one side. Your tenants will cover your mortgage and you should still be able to clear a profit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.