Investing while paying child support

11 Replies

HI...hopefully someone can help answer this questions. I would like to get into real estate, either flipping or rentals but I have a major concern, I owe child support which I pay regularly every month religiously. I am concerned that the Enforcement agency will place a lien on anything I buy with my name and social security number. I have great credit rating of 777, and I am a retired veteran. my questions are the following:

Can I buy investments homes under my name and social security?
If not can I create a LLC and buy under the company name and EIN#?

If none of these options are viable is there another legal way of doing so?

Thank 

Alex

As long as you are paying your child support on time, there is no issue.  Nobody is going to place a lien on anything UNLESS OR UNTIL, you fall behind.

So yes, with a credit score of 777 and steady income, you'll qualify for anything the numbers will support according to the limits of your DTI and down payment.

Yes, you might be able to buy through an LLC, but most lenders will require you to personally guarantee the loan of a brand new LLC.

Ok would it matter how many properties I purchase? Or am I limited to any specific amount or quantity?

Originally posted by @Alex Carbonell :

Ok would it matter how many properties I purchase? Or am I limited to any specific amount or quantity?

That's a question best answered by your mortgage broker.  Your income and cash on hand will be your most limiting factors with traditional or portfolio loans.  Hard Money Lenders have only the property valuation and cost to rehab as their limiting factors

Child support is just another debt, like a student loan. No big deal.

If you are using traditional financing (Freddie or Fannie lending) you can have up to 4 or 10 mortgages. Make sure you check first if they will count tenant rent as income because some require you to have been a landlord or owner for 2 years.

Originally posted by @Bryan O. :

Child support is just another debt, like a student loan. No big deal.

If you are using traditional financing (Freddie or Fannie lending) you can have up to 4 or 10 mortgages. Make sure you check first if they will count tenant rent as income because some require you to have been a landlord or owner for 2 years.

It seems I will have to start educating myself so I can buy my first home then a rental...I always used the child support as an excuse no to pursue real estate. Thank you all for the answers...

Alex

Oh, and to touch on what @Linda Weygant said about the LLC, I'm finding that it's much easier to get traditional mortgage loans to yourself the person than it is to get them to an entity. So there's not excuses about not knowing how to set up an LLC either ;)

Ok so other than getting easier financing using myself would there be other advantages to creating an LLC, for example tax breaks?

I know this thread is a couple of months old but I wanted to add some information to it. I hope this link works. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.quojure.com/samples/archives/realestateincome.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj0r5XPnL_MAhVMFR4KHSUHD-4QFgheMA0&usg=AFQjCNFtE-HDs9pS0LSlgnGMnLEEvnXOKg&sig2=QXnm1-AkZU1lgoM2d-AUjw

Originally posted by @Anastasia Jordan:

I know this thread is a couple of months old but I wanted to add some information to it. As long as you are not in arrears you are safe. And do not tell your ex that you are getting any extra income. The courts can adjust the amount you pay if she finds out you are earning extra money and she files for a modification. Tell no one who knows her or your kids.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.