#AskBP

4 Replies

Hi! I am looking at a 4 unit that needs a lot of rehab work. I am planning on keeping it as a buy and hold. What are the numbers or metrics I should be looking for to analyze this deal to keep this as a buy and hold rather than flipping it?

Have you used the investment calculators here on BP?

Without more information this may be a difficult question to answer. Several variables will determine weather this is a good deal.  A buy and hold strategy tends to be more forgiving on numbers but, I'd analyze every deal as a fix and flip.  Plan to have multiple exit strategies and always try to buy as far below market value as you can

Best suggestion would be to use the calculator on BP (5 free uses as general member)

Most important thing is to not underestimate repair costs. They can quickly sink a great deal

Thanks @James Stevens and @Garrett Fast for the responses. I'm going to view the property hopefully on monday. I'll get some numbers then and try out the BP calculators

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you