CFP certificate - yea or nay?

6 Replies

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether becoming a certified CFP would A - be helpful, and B - be worth the cost and time (approx. 6 classes over 1 year at $4000 total)? I am wanting to get into RE investing part-time to start out, and possibly full-time in the future. I am currently exploring the option of getting my RE agent/broker license in order to help me break into investing (I'm currently a public school teacher), but I had someone recently suggest that I should become a certified CFP instead. Any thoughts?

Hi Mark,

I presume, by "CFP" you're referring to a Certified Financial Planner ??

Medium 23 koru homes llc logoSteve G., Koru Homes | 904‑410‑4088

Yes, but I'm no longer considering it, and I was actually never seriously considering it. I think I mentioned to you @Steve G. that I'm going to be getting my real estate license by the end of November, and then working as an agent as I learn all that I can about real estate in general as well as investing. CFP is off the table.

Hi Mark,

I'm a CFP and can tell you it has almost nothing to do with real-estate investing.  A CFP is to financial planning as a CPA is to accounting.  Additionally, you will need to work in the financial services field for 3 years before you can use the designation.  I think the real estate license would be a better use of time for a real estate investor.

Adam

Adam Anderson CFP, Jersey Home Rentals, LLC | [email protected] | 9739173904 | http://www.morrisretirementadvisors.com

Originally posted by @Adam Anderson :

Hi Mark,

I'm a CFP and can tell you it has almost nothing to do with real-estate investing.  A CFP is to financial planning as a CPA is to accounting.  Additionally, you will need to work in the financial services field for 3 years before you can use the designation.  I think the real estate license would be a better use of time for a real estate investor.

Adam

What he said !

Thanks to all for the advice. Truth be told, my wife was told by someone in the finance department where she works that I should consider becoming a cfp. The person who gave the recommendation has no knowledge of RE investing, and I was never seriously considering it. I actually only posted the question so that I could show my wife some responses like the ones you've all given. So again, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I start real estate school next weekend. Super excited!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you