Interning To Learn

Interning To Learn

Business Owner · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets,

My name is Kadan Atkin and I am a young investor from SLC, UT.

I wanted to share a secret with people who are first starting investing. I wanted to share this secret because it has exponentially helped me grow and build my knowledge base.

**Warning this strategy may not work if you are established and have families**

My suggestion is to find the biggest player, who you connect with, at your local real estate investment club and ask them to intern for them over the summer. With more experienced investors, they probably won't take you seriously at first so use some of this language: "_____ I noticed that you have a large network of investors that you do business with and I think your an incredible teacher. If you are open to working with a newer, but ambitious person like myself I would love to help you grow your business over the summer by providing insights into new technology, building systems, and making phone calls. Knowing that i have skills in _____, _____, _____ how would having me in your office over the summer and being able to leverage my skills with _____ be a benefit to your business?"

When I did this, I had to follow up with my mentor (@Matt Atkinson @Trevor Thompson) at least 10 times. The key here is to phrase the question a new way each time and to show your qualifications for working together. Try to pinpoint something that they need based on listening to them speak and try to fill that position.

I have been “interning” with MJARE for the last 15 months or so and the experience has exponentially helped me grow. I have been paid for the full time that I’ve worked there and I have been able to build systems and procedures to move the company forward, hire other talented individuals, provide marketing strategies, help put together deals and bring solutions to the table for challenges that arise. All in all the experience has been beneficial for both parties involved.

Anyone have a similar experience or some advice for newer individuals looking to get into the business?

Kadan Atkin 

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    11y

    @Kadan Atkin.  This is a brilliant post.  I did this in the early 1990s in Detroit.  It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

    Great work and great post.

  • Business Owner · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    @Steven Butala 

    Thank you for the positive words of encouragement. 

    I am hoping to continue to post more and more of my progress on here just to get feedback and advice. 

    When you interned in the '90s were you doing it with a Real Estate position or another job? 

    Kadan Atkin

  • Tolland, CT · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Kadian - great post indeed. As an investor and an executive in several companies, this approach would be well received by most successful people. Most successful people have a band with the problem of time. Anyone that is eager, hungry and motivated will resonate well with a highly successful person. I do a variation of what you say but in reverse. I look to hire someone for a very low wage with the opportunity for them to learn grow and be meant toward by someone that will not just be a resume builder but could bring them into a sweat equity partnership with me. This is been very successful for me and I found some of the best people I've ever worked with doing this. I find this works best with recent graduates from college. Almost to a person they have been hard drivers and have entrepreneurial skills that are yet to be understood or harnessed. Great job with your post and figuring this out at such a young age. Best – David
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.