Tips/Advice/Connections

9 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am on Active duty in the U.S. Navy out of Virginia. I haven't really started on my real estate journey yet but am very eager to. I'm still not sure if I want to get involved in Buy/Hold or Fix/Flip I'm open to both strategies. ANY advice and tips are very welcome! Anyone from Hampton Roads area? I would love to connect. Thanks for your time everyone.

Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Daniel Kelly . @Elizabeth Colegrove is an active-duty spouse (is that the right term?) who invests in real estate. She also writes for our blog. Here is a link to all her articles, which have an investing-while-serving take.

Daniel,

I'm also active duty military, looking to connect and learn from those on here who are doing what I'm doing.

I'm currently overseas and trying to purchase one property per year.

Steve 

Originally posted by @Daniel Kelly :

Hello everyone,

I am on Active duty in the U.S. Navy out of Virginia. I haven't really started on my real estate journey yet but am very eager to. I'm still not sure if I want to get involved in Buy/Hold or Fix/Flip I'm open to both strategies. ANY advice and tips are very welcome! Anyone from Hampton Roads area? I would love to connect. Thanks for your time everyone.

Great to connect with you! My husband is active duty and we buy at every duty station it makes sense. Our strategy is buy and hold. We turn our personal into rentals. When we can afford to ( i.e. when i am working since we live on one salary) we buy pure rentals.

While I haven't been in the VB market for 3 years, that was the first place we bought as newbies. Happy to help if I can :)

hey @Daniel Kelly I'm here in the Noview area of Norfolk. Prior active, currently reserve. I just bought a duplex with my VA loan and decided to house hack. I live upstairs and will be putting my downstairs unit on the market in February.

I think that its totally up to you and your current situation in regards to which route to take. What are your thoughts about each? (Buy n hold and fix/flip)

Originally posted by @Shaka Farrier :

hey @Daniel Kelly I'm here in the Noview area of Norfolk. Prior active, currently reserve. I just bought a duplex with my VA loan and decided to house hack. I live upstairs and will be putting my downstairs unit on the market in February.

I think that its totally up to you and your current situation in regards to which route to take. What are your thoughts about each? (Buy n hold and fix/flip)

Shaka I messaged you.

@Daniel Kelly - I was born and raised in Virginia Beach and I'm active AF. I actually just went back there for the first time in 4 years during the Christmas/New Year's break and boy has it grown!

Keep reading up on the BP forums and blogs, listen to ALL the BP podcasts (episode 108 with Grand Cardone was really inspiring), and read other RE and financial related books. Good luck!