Direct Mail List Management

14 Replies

Hello,

I am new to direct mailers. I sent out a list of 1000 yellow letters about a month ago and I am preparing to send another list soon, however I am not entirely sure about some modifications to the list. I have removed people who have called and requested not to be mailed again, but should I also remove people who called in but did not turn into a deal for one reason or another? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you, this helps me quite a bit. I have found a good amount on wholesaling and how to generate leads, but I have been struggling to find anything on how to manage lists and leads

Promotion
PropStream
Web + D4D Mobile App for you & the team!
Trusted Provider of Real Estate Data, Marketing, Skip Tracing & A
#1 Real Estate Software for Investors, Agents & Brokers to find leads and close deals nationwide.
7 Day Free Trial!

Hi @Robert Treakle

How are you tracking your leads? How many touches are you giving your list? I would not recommend using mailing them once and being done. I just use a google sheet and not remove people since they may not be motivated now but in a year if you are the one who sends the mail, you will be the one they will contact/call. With this mailing you should know your response rate and track it  

Hey @Steve Bracero

I have been keeping two documents, one original and one edited. I dont touch the original and remove people who responded of the second. Now that I am thinking about it, that is probably not the most efficient method. Do you have any tips and pointers for tracking leads? I am going into my second round of mailers tomorrow.

What was your response rate? 

How many leads did you get that fit the criteria you were looking for? 

Direct mail is so outdated, targeted FB Campaigns & Google Ad Words will yield so much greater response 

Hi @Robert Treakle

I use a spreadsheet one with my entire mailing list and one with the leads who called. I keep track of when they first contacted me, when I call back and what I will do to follow up. The key is in the follow up. 

@Chris Grenier

I have never thought of using FB campaigns and google ad words, good idea. Is the FB campaigns paid advertising?  

@Chris Grenier I think I was definitely too haphazard with this first round of mailers so I did not record either of those things. I believe that I can go back and find those stats though. As for the FB Campaigns and Google Ad Words, I had thought about that, but I had always assumed that they would be out of my budget. How do they compare price wise to DM?

@Steve Bracero Thank you, I need to start working more on tracking and managing my list

Originally posted by @Steve Bracero :

Hi @Robert Treakle

I use a spreadsheet one with my entire mailing list and one with the leads who called. I keep track of when they first contacted me, when I call back and what I will do to follow up. The key is in the follow up. 

@Chris Grenier

I have never thought of using FB campaigns and google ad words, good idea. Is the FB campaigns paid advertising?  

Yeah man FB Campaigns are paid advertising that can be hyper-targeted to particular areas/demos/etc. Youtube has a million educational videos on them. I would focus strictly on FB ad's and not waste your time on Google Ads. 

BTW i'm from Webster MA, went to St. Johns in Shrewsbury. 

@Robert Treakle you just need one spreadsheet.  Create additional columns to the right of your leads with your mailing dates as the headings.  This is how you can track when you send out mail for each lead.  As leads call in (or if they ask to be taken off the list), I cut those people out of the spreadsheet and put them into a new tab called "Removed Leads".  I keep this data so when I pull a new list, I don't mail to these people anymore.  When someone calls you and says they are not interested in selling now but might be later, I always follow up via phone.  Use a calendar, excel or a simple CRM to provide reminders.  A phone call is a more personal way to touch a prospect than mail and offers a much easier way to build rapport.  

@Chris Grenier I couldn't agree with you less RE: "direct mail is so outdated".  Here's why - any property that you are looking to buy has a mailbox, but not necessarily a computer, internet or FB.  Less and less people are using snail mail and have switched over to internet marketing.  Therefore, consumer have become hypersensitive to ads/spam/etc. and can easily glance over an ad.  Snail mail will ensure your prospect will pick it up so it's a matter of being able to stand out.  Also, other than targeting by demographics/interests/etc., how can you niche down your FB ads to target people with run down houses (driving for dollars)?  I will say that I've never done FB marketing because I never saw the value in it for marketing to sellers but maybe you've been getting great results...

@Justin Silverio  

I couldn't agree with you more on DM. People want to feel appreciated, valued, and like you care. Have you ever gotten a letter from a family member? How did it make you feel? If you use DM correctly you can show folks that you value their time, would like to meet with them, and have their best interests in mind. 

While online marketing does/can work it's also extremely noisy. You're not tangible/real to them. 

Holy smokes if you guys actually think snail mail is even worth a fraction of targeted FB ads I have a fantastic business opportunity for you guys to invest in! 

It is a retail store that will rent VHS & DVDs by the day and you can shop around the store for a decent selection :) :) 

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

@Chris Grenier , I was just listening to Rod Khleif's Podcast this morning and a point was made that if you are trying to target retiring investors, you should use a marketing channel that reaches them (i.e. Newspaper). 

Yes, I know may retirees use Facebook, etc but it does not hurt to make a multi-channel marketing approach.