• Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Where to Buy my First Out-of-State Multi-family

John Singer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 25 2016, 17:15

I am new to RE investing, but am very ready to pull the trigger on purchasing my first rental property outside of CA (where I live).  I understand the CA market is poor from a cash flow perspective, and the barriers to entry are very high from a cost standpoint.  I work a full-time job, have a strong/stable income, near perfect credit, 3 days off/week to dedicate to RE, access to frequent and inexpensive airfare, and enough saved for 20-25% down on a 50-150K property.

My criteria would be at least a triplex (preferably a four-plex) that needs minimal rehab that also falls within a relatively-stable rental market.  My searches have led me to explore various parts of Indiana, Tennessee, Ohio, North Carolina, and other states - mainly because my criteria is accessible at my target price point in these states (I plan to purchase conventionally).

Ultimately, what is the best location for me to hone in on deals?  I would like to cash flow positively with minimal upkeep (obviously), but I just mainly want to take the plunge on my first deal to get my feet wet, learn, grow, etc.  I would also like property taxes, PM, insurance, and vacancy (+ whatever I am overlooking) to all be factored into my monthly expenses.

WHAT IS THE BEST LOCATION FOR ME?

ARE YOU CONNECTED w/ ANY INVESTORS/REALTORS in IDEAL AREAS?  

As of now, I have just been blindly looking into any location that I read up on online, sparks my interest, has low prices, etc.   I am open to turnkey opportunities as well.

Thanks in advance as any advice will be a huge help,

John

Loading replies...