Rehab material and labor cost on a Flip and Flip

10 Replies

I'm working on a deal, have contractors labor cost but I need the material cost.  Does anyone have a list of cost per project including material?

homedepot.com   IT really depends on how high end or low end you want to go.  You can get carpet for $1000, or $10000 depending on the carpet.  Same goes for all appliances, flooring, doors, etc.   Sorry I'm not much more help...

Originally posted by @Regina Joners :

I'm working on a deal, have contractors labor cost but I need the material cost.  Does anyone have a list of cost per project including material?

This sounds a bit unusual on the front end . If you dont already have a close estimation of materials for your flip , how can you have a contractors cost for labor , unless you are hiring someone by the hour . If so then all you have is a number that adds up as time goes on.  

Before you jump on this possible  " deal "  you need to solidify your numbers . What you think is a " deal ' could take you broke 

We need to know much more about the property and what needs to be done in order to give anything close to an estimate. Pics and details please

Originally posted by @Regina Joners :

@Matthew Paul I want to buy the material at cost. 

Ok , you can save lots if you do  ....  BUT .........How much time do you have to push that cart thru home depot and load it up with a hundred 2 by 4's , 30 sheets of drywall , all the right nails and drywall mud . Then load it into YOUR pick up truck . Get it to the jobsite , then unload it and have it ready for your contractors to do the work ?  And then realize something you got was wrong , then have to return it ?  All while you have 3 workers waiting at the job charging you by the hour while they are waiting for materials . 

Now you will save some on the materials , but it will cost you $500 to save $ 200 . 

When a contractor supplies materials he factors in a profit , that is a part of business , If I have do get a piece of plywood at Home Depot , the plywood cost $20.00 . I charge you $60.00 . Because I have to account for my time to drive there , get the material , load it into my truck and drive back .  

As far as you buying the material at  "cost "  . Yes you can get good pricing buying direct , especially when you are spending $100,000 to $ 200,000 a year at the supplier . Sounds like this is your first go around , you are going to pay full retail at any supply house . 

I am a contractor , and I get a good dicsount at the supply houses , but the customer still pays retail , because my good credit and relationship at the supply house is for my benefit , not the customer . thats money in the contractors pocket . 

@Matthew Paul my partner is a contractor due to health reasons he is unable to rehab the flip.

@Matthew Paul when I need to get information I want it asap. I want to make sure the figures measure up.

Thank you all for your input!!!

Your best bet is to do a "take off". Determine the full scope of work you plant to do (assume you have this, if you have labor already determined). Then determine the quantities and pieces/parts associated with the work...

Example would be along the lines of sheetrocking a kitchen. Determine how many 4x8 and 4x12 1/2" boards you will need. Multiply those numbers by the costs (If you are buying at HD, go to their website and "add to cart" to make it easier). Then determine how many buckets of compound, rolls of tape, screws, corner beads (inside and out), sanding screens/sandpaper, etc...

You will need to do the same thing with each scope item to get an idea of what the material costs might be.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.