MBA in Real Estate investing and development

6 Replies

Hello, I am a college student aspiring to become a real estate investor. I am accumulating knowledge in real estate before I get a full-time job and begin to invest. I have been looking into Real Estate MBA programs. Wondering if anyone has completed this type of program and how it would compare to an education through Bigger Pockets and real estate books...?

@Isaac Bliek - I have my MBA and strongly advise people to not spend the time and money on the degree unless they truly need it to advance in their career. Everything I've learned about real estate I've learned OTJ or through podcasts/books/etc. Find local investors or property management companies or any business related to the industry and start interning or working for them. Doing anything! Learn and create values. Those skills and networking are what will jumpstart your REI career. Also look into house hacking while you are still in school.

Best of luck!  Wish I had started when I was in college!

I have an MBA in Stupid ...as Dave Ramsey would say. No but seriously...can’t beat OJT...but it would be nice to have that MBA to fall back on just in case.

In the near future a McDonald’s application will read like this: Must have Bachelors Degree...point being...even though I think degrees are pointless the Real World does not. Keep working!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. 

An MBA from a top-5 program could accelerate your earnings potential in the near term and pay for itself relatively quickly. Starting all-in comp ranges from $200k to $300k in the first year post graduation. It quickly goes up from there depending on the industry.

@Edward C. Hit the nail on the head. If it’s not a top 5 program then it probably isn’t worth it

Interesting point. Some people I've spoke to were surprised to hear school's even offered a MBA in real estate. I am getting a degree in civil engineering so I will have a full time job. Real estate will be my "side-hustle" to start, so taking MBA classes would take away from what little time I have to invest anyway. 

Just trying to weigh my options, might be better just to hit the ground running..

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.