Investing in the States

5 Replies

Hello internet,

I've started looking in to start investing in the States (I am a Canadian citizen), however I'm struggling to find good information. Do any of you have experience you'd like to share on the matter? Is there a goldmine of information I've missed somewhere?

Thanks all,

Kelsey Unger

Yeah. It's the website called biggerpockets dot com.

And apparently you haven't missed it. You just haven't taken the time to read it yet.

(See the little magnifying glass symbol at the top? Click on it. Search, search). Cheers!

@Brent Coombs I should have specified, I am looking for information about what all is required to invest in the states, while living in Canada, as a Canadian citizen (no prior affiliation to the US), which isn't actually covered here, I did actually look first. I understand investing within my own country, I want to find out how to do it in a different one

@Kelsey Unger , if you look deeper, you'll see lots of threads started by "foreigners" outside the USA, including this one: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/55/topics/167...

The reason why Bigger Pockets doesn't specifically refer to Canada too often is - it's just one of hundreds of countries which also have Investors who are asking the same questions.

But it shouldn't take you long to realize that what you really need to know is: how do I invest successfully as an out-of-state* Investor? 

* (Because, BP sees the logistics as - exactly the same!)

Once you get a handle on the Tax and other implications of moving money in and out of both countries, you can see that the rest of the details are no different, right?

And you must have seen hundreds of threads querying investing out of state, right?

Did I miss anything? All the best...

@Kelsey Unger

There is a Canada specific forum here on BP ... if you search the history of that forum, you will find your question has been asked many time.  I would suggest you find and absorb that information first which will provide you with a basis from which to ask more directed questions.

@Brent Coombs - investing in the U.S.A. as a Canadian (from Canada) is not the same as being an out of state investor.   Similarly, due to the tax treaty between Canada and the U.S.A.; the presence of Canadian banks in the U.S.A.; and the general level of coupling between our economies, investing in the U.S.A. from Canada is considerably different than from many other countries.

While the basics are more or less the same, even once you get a handle on taxation and moving money between the countries, there are still differences from an U.S.A. citizen who is investing "out of state."

What kind of information are you looking for? On locations/markets to buy in, on properties available, on steps for Canadians to invest in the States, etc?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.