Finding The Best Mentor

3 Replies

I am currently and have actively been looking for a mentor in the real estate world. Someone who has experience with rental properties, fix and flips, and buy and hold. I am struggling to find someone who is willing to do this. Does anybody have any tips to finding a mentor?

Bring something to the table, money, deals, experience, etc. 

I am a business management college student with experience negotiating, budgeting, and managing people. I want to propose deals to my mentor for them to be able to close and expand their portfolio. I just want the feedback so that I can see how they determined if it would be worth their investment.

I get the mentor emails, depending on the tone they can freak me out a little. I know the person reaching out means well, but instant compliments and or a request for something long term come across as unusual. We haven't even met, I wouldn't ask that of a stranger. 

Many of us don't take compliments well. These are coming from strangers on the internet! I'd suggest being yourself, real, open and honest about your goals and fears and maybe ask if you can run a question by them. Now you've given the choice to me and I'm curious what is this question that is so important they didn't just come out and ask it? It feels nice to have a choice in the matter. 

Now, there are dumb questions (to ask bp members) in real estate investing, they are the ones that the forums, blogs and podcasts easily answer in seconds. Don't be lazy. 

I guess my point is to slow it down, the term mentor sounds so serious and to me is synonymous with folks ready and willing to take advantage of a newbie. Spread it out, some of us are idiots. 

I do believe in giving back and volunteer my time as a big brother, which is a role I love and believe is the best use of my time as a mentor. I would look for those same qualities if I were to mentor someone. Even in a time of need, giving back to others is paramount to a life well lived. 

I hope my insight is helpful, I do love to help and encourage but a large part of what made me successful in this business was the journey searching for info, deals, resources etc.. Enjoy! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.