First time buyer dilemma !!

4 Replies

Hi Guys!

This is my first post so I am sorry if this is not the right place! I am looking for some solid advice on purchasing investment property in Chicago. I currently rent an apartment from my folks and I am thinking about buying a property (2 flat or more if I can afford it). I saved up only $50k so I am not sure if that's enough to purchase a decent rental property. I just started looking in Bridgeport (south Chicago) and there are some properties which cost around $300k (2/3 flat). The only down side is that they are all build prior to 1900s and need some serious remodeling. I have some background in remodeling as I worked for general contractor all through college (4-5 years). Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Also if you have stories about your early days of real estate investing please share!

If you are going to live in the property you could get away with only 5% down and use the other $30k towards rehab costs. 

Chris Puglisi

@Matt Stoch - Depending on location and income, the 5% down is the way to go for your first.  

Feel free to PM me and I will give you my lender.  He has done tons of these types of loans for my clients who are looking to "house hack"

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Wisconsin (#57846-90) and Illinois (#471.018287)

Originally posted by @Chris Puglisi :

If you are going to live in the property you could get away with only 5% down and use the other $30k towards rehab costs. 

Thank you Chris, I will definitely try to apply for that loan. 

Hi @Matt Stoch - I agree with the concept of buying a property as a "owner occupant" with a low down-payment.  Depending where you buy your properties, you should be able to stretch your $50K into multiple properties over a period of a few short years. If you want to discuss in more detail, send me a pm. Good luck.

Ashley Carter, Real Estate Agent in IL (#471.002063)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
      • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
      • Learn how to get started with or without money,
      • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
      • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.