New to Realestate and have a few questions.

3 Replies

So I’m new to this, me and my brother want to start investing in property. I’ve read and heard some people have great success with foreclosed homes. I’m a bit skeptical. To my understanding the banks don’t usually show the house and you’d have to buy it “as is” but how do you know when you have a gem on your hands or fools gold? Would starting off with a 5 unit property be a good idea or should we start off with a duplex or triplex? Where would I️ go to find investors for wholesaling ?
Originally posted by @Julio Velazquez :
So I’m new to this, me and my brother want to start investing in property. I’ve read and heard some people have great success with foreclosed homes. I’m a bit skeptical. To my understanding the banks don’t usually show the house and you’d have to buy it “as is” but how do you know when you have a gem on your hands or fools gold?

Would starting off with a 5 unit property be a good idea or should we start off with a duplex or triplex?

Where would I️ go to find investors for wholesaling ?

Foreclosed homes, also called REOs are sold "as is". You don't mention if you have any experience in lending, repairs, sales or have a huge bank account so it is impossible to guess if you would be successful. Read a couple of books on the subject before you take the plunge, or you will be paying "seminar dues". (Thousands of wasted dollars.)

Originally posted by @Julio Velazquez :
So I’m new to this, me and my brother want to start investing in property. I’ve read and heard some people have great success with foreclosed homes. I’m a bit skeptical. To my understanding the banks don’t usually show the house and you’d have to buy it “as is” but how do you know when you have a gem on your hands or fools gold?

Would starting off with a 5 unit property be a good idea or should we start off with a duplex or triplex?

Where would I️ go to find investors for wholesaling ?

Welcome to the site Julio.

As for being allowed to see a property if your buying at auction no you cannot see the inside. That is the risk you take doing that type of investing. I do not recommend buying at auction to the brand new investor. Stick with something a little less risky to get your footing in the business. I recommend hooking up with a Realtor & buying a 2-4 family home that's in good condition or needs only minor repairs. Learn the biz from there.

@Julio Velazquez they tell you can't see the property.

Don't bother people; don't intrude on people living some place.  If it's vacant, you can do what you have to do to see the property.

I know a guy who has a drone with camera, no joke. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here