RE license for wholesaling? Y or N?

5 Replies

Howdy folks, I’m starting my wholesaling business in 2018. I hear different opinions here on BP. Some folks say a license is a waste of time and money. And then I see people talking down about “unlicensed brokers”. So I would like people to give me reasons why yes or no please. Thanks in advance y’all!

@Manuel Rodriguez   Hope the best on your wholesaling business, I do have license,  from my point of view, it is a good advantage because you can offer your side of the commission to the listing agent if  you are buying a great deal, but I have a lot of f=collegues that have no license and still doing great 

(786)-529-4075

I'm licensed and wholesale, flip, and hold. My recommendation would be to just get licensed. It's going to set you apart from the "pack". It will also hold you to a higher ethical standard which I don't think is a bad thing.. Not to mention. It's 10X easier to wholesale if you have MLS access.

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

Get licensed. Life is 1,000 times easier with access to systems and other licensed pros are more apt to talk to you. Cost is minimal. I talk about it on BP a lot.

I have my license and it has worked hand on hand with my wholesaling business. You won’t leave any deal behind. Find out what the seller is looking to have happen and work your strategy from there. Always disclose that you are an agent but solely conducting them as an investor (If wholesaling is your strategy for a particular lead. Hope this helps.

@Manuel Rodriguez if you get a license, you will have to work under a broker. Some brokers may have a problem with one of their agents wholesaling, so keep in mind that the broker has a say in your activity. Yes, having access to the MLS and state forms is very convenient, but there is nothing you will learn in pre-license classes that will make you a better wholesaler or investor.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.