Obtaining my RE license in a few months - Access to the MLS

5 Replies

Hey everyone, I joined recently, and looking to start out by obtaining my real estate license in NJ. The long term plan, along with my partner, is to buy our first rehab by Q3-Q4 this year. I’m still working full time, and I’m wondering if the only way to obtain access to the MLS -once I pass the course and obtain my license - is to do so via a real estate firm/ broker? Or is it possible to access the MLS without being sponsored by a real estate company? Thank you in advance, any guidance here would be appreciated. Yuliana

I cannot speak for how things are done out in NJ, but here, I had to join a brokerage in order to become a Realtor, and then was able to get MLS access after joining the Realtor's association in my area.

Hi Yuliana,

I'm licensed in NJ. Currently your license needs to be sponsored by a broker and the broker needs to be a member of the MLS you want to join. NAR is changing this in the spring so you will be able to join the MLS of your choice regardless of where your broker is a member. Where you are looking to invest will determine which MLS you want to join and you might want to join more than one as there could be some overlap. I belong to NJ (mainly Bergen County) and Hudson. Please PM me if you have any specific questions or if you'd like to discuss further.

Yuliana,

Jason nailed it. As a brokerage operator in NJ for 5 years and licensed agent there as well, I can help you answer any questions you may have about the process or getting started. I am curious, where do you plan on rehabbing properties? What part of the state are you interested getting started in? Are you looking to start in North Bergen county or are you open to exploring opportunities throughout the state?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here