I quit my job yesterday

10 Replies

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. 

I've been a real estate investor since 2014, working full time at my W2 and investing part time. It's been a struggle, a challenge, a never ending web of confusion. But yesterday, I put in my notice and today I've never felt better. I have years worth of savings in the bank, credit lines, relationships with hard money lenders and deals in the pipeline. 

The decision wasn't easy, I'd be lying to you if I said that I'm a little freaked out. I have a nice home, two little ones and a beautiful wife who's incredibly supportive. But my heart isn't there, I think/talk only about real estate. It's time to make a move. 

To all those at @BiggerPockets ; Thanks! Without this podcast I'd be sitting behind a desk of misery for who knows how long. 

@Matt Honeyford

Congratulations brother!

As someone who is still on the wrong side of the "grind", you story is an inspiration. Don't be discouraged or nervous, you have a entire network of supporters and people willing to help you out. Its amazing that you have only been investing for 4 years.. Shove that in the face of people who say you cant get rich quick in Real Estate.

@Matt Honeyford  Congratulations!  Its  courageous step and seems like you secure yourself financially before  jump in as full time Investors.  

That's one of the main goals for a lot of RE investors.

@Matt Honeyford Congratulations Sir ! Hope you get amazing success in your business.

As of 6/8/2018 I have NO job. I don’t wanna go get anther job. I’m jumping in head first. 🙏🏽

Thats awesome man, I hope to follow your footsteps!

It's been about 4 months since I've left my job. I felt that maybe an update is due. 

I should have done this years ago. I'm spending more time with my family and more of my free time working, instead of zoning out watching TV. My quality of life has improved dramatically. We've completed two flips, one of which we've turned into a rental. And, I'm even selling a little real estate. Something that my broker pushed me to do, wasn't planning on it, but it's been a nice source of additional income. 

When I left my job I was scared. Having just walked away from a job that provided my family with an above average salary, I wondered if I was making the right choice. However, in the four months since I left, we have already passed the amount I would  have made with my old gig. It's funny, the pressure of not having a paycheck almost activated a different part of my brain that became more focused, more willing to move to this area of uncomfortably when prospecting for deals and business. It's been a wild ride, but a good one.  . . . Why didn't I do this sooner....?

@Matt Honeyford How many properties do you own sfh’s or multi units? Whats ur savings look like and what cashflow are u getting from real estate and equity do you have?

@Joshua D. Not getting enough. But we've got the first couple deals done and have 3 units. Which we had more, but at least we are in the game. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here