Any Thoughts On Joining Renatus?

Any Thoughts On Joining Renatus?

Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 85 posts · 43 votes
I’ve recently been introduced to Renatus. I wanted to know if anyone here has used their education and mentorship to become successful in real estate. It’s a $20,000 commitment. I’d like to hear your feedback on their program if you’re so inclined.
0Reply
190 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Dawn O.:
I’ve recently been introduced to Renatus. I wanted to know if anyone here has used their education and mentorship to become successful in real estate. It’s a $20,000 commitment. I’d like to hear your feedback on their program if you’re so inclined.

 Real Estate is actually incredibly simple at it's core. Nothing is secret, tricky or special. Where most people run into trouble is execution. They give up when they don't immediately see results. You have to stick it out & put up with the setbacks. Another thing I see is many of the investors who try to make a go at it are drastically under capitalized. To be successful at real estate investing you need a large amount of income coming in NOW so you can live off of it & invest the excess. Spending $20k on a course isn't going to fix any of those problems.

Too many look at this business as a way to quit their jobs. It's not a way to quit your job. If you are looking into real estate investing because you want to quit your job or you don't have enough money right now you are in this for the wrong reasons. If you are investing it's a way to provide yourself a better retirement. If you are looking to run an active real estate business, then yes you can quit your job & do that. But that's very different then investing. 

Myself have a decent amount of rentals & work about 80 hours per week running my businesses. I will be the 1st one to tell you I am not living off of the money I make from the cash flow on my personal rental portfolio (200+ rentals) I am living off of the money that is generated from the $50M+ in annual volume of our Sales, Property Management, Insurance, Title & Digital Media businesses.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    8y

    I came across a post of theirs maybe a year ago and when I went thru the orientation process decided not to bother going any further. Idk about you but I can use that $20K towards the purchase of an investment property. 

    the MLM game isn't for everyone and many are already tapped out of their newness so there isn't any more room to make the type of money that they state so many others have done. the whole thing boils down to recruiting others and that's the only way for you to make money. you'd have to get a good handful of people to sign up for $20K membership each and really think about it...if you come across a handful of people with $20,000 to invest, wouldn't you rather that monies go towards a project of yours? sounds like they'd make for some nice private lenders for your REI company...rather than being caught up in some MLM scheme...my coin.

    kudos,

    Mary 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Dawn Oree Time to grab some popcorn, sit back, and wait for the fireworks :) I think the net result is that you have a little of affiliate marketers out there promoting the program. They earn from getting you enrolled so it’s not exactly like they’re unbiased! The crux of the challenge is that education has value but (in my view) it’s only specific education that has measurable economic value. If I were to “coach” anyone I think I’d have moderate value in “commercial multifamily in flyover country” but I’d have ZERO value when it comes to wholesaling, leading a syndication, self storage, and about 50 other REI varieties. Paying $200 to me for self-storage investing coaching would be a worse investment than paying $20K to someone that was incredibly successful at it. So the net result is that I think what you’d get out of any program will be proportional to how your stated goals align with a coach and/or education program. Some of it also has to do with your level of confidence. I feel “confident” I know enough and could learn the knowledge gaps in SFR buy-and-hold. Consequently it’s doubtful that I’d pay for that education. However, I know squat about leading a syndications, there are legalities, and there’s a huge gap in my knowledge and confidence. I’d pay for *that* coaching/education if that’s a road I wanted to go down. So, again, it’s hard to make high-level declaratory statements.
  • Webster Groves, MO · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    You’d be better off to find a high volume flipper/wholesaler in your market and ask if you can work and help them for FREE if they teach you the business. Hands on is the real way to learn and many investors are open to helping people if you ask
  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 85 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Andrew Johnson That's the thing.  They have over 50 courses on EVERYTHING from flipping to development, including taxes and some other very interesting things I've been intrigued by.   I've also watched people go from zero deals to 1 deal done and flipped in 3 months!  The person that introduced me, I've watched his business over the past 5 years go from 100 deals (flipping,& buy and hold) to over 500 deals and he's now doing both in state and out of state development.  I was hoping to get the opinions of those who have really been exposed to it.  

    To @Mary B.'s point... it is an MLM.  I've never actually thought of it that way.   I've wanted to be an investor for so long and have tried so many times and was unsuccessful.  I just want a system and a network that will support me as I grow into this business.  I was wondering if any of the BP folks had experiences with the program first hand.  I guess I'll have to decide if it's right for me by stepping in the water.  Maaaaaaaan $20,000 is a LOT of money when you aren't financially successful already.  

    Thanks for your help everyone.  I truly appreciate your feedback.

  • Marshfield, MA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Hey Dawn,

    My Fiancee and I looked into this and on the surface it seemed like a great way to get an education in real estate but after digging a little further we found that the people in our area, greater Boston, were really only making money at getting more people to sign up and very few were making money on actual deals.  Too bad as the people we met were great, just not great at real estate which is what we were looking for.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 85 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Jim Stanton thank you.  I appreciate you telling me about that.  I’ve seen only the good things in the community here.  I’ll look a little deeper prior to moving forward.  $20,000 is a lot to invest.  

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by :

    To @Mary B.'s point... it is an MLM.  I've never actually thought of it that way.   I've wanted to be an investor for so long and have tried so many times and was unsuccessful.  I just want a system and a network that will support me as I grow into this business.  I was wondering if any of the BP folks had experiences with the program first hand.  I guess I'll have to decide if it's right for me by stepping in the water.  Maaaaaaaan $20,000 is a LOT of money when you aren't financially successful already.  

    What have you tried before? Why didnt it work? What did you learn? There is no magic bullet, or system or anything that solves all your problems no matter what the scam gurus out there try to tell you. There is some basic info and knowledge you need but its all accessible for free if you spend the time. No matter what 20K course you take its not easy to be an "investor" if you dont have capital to start with. Possible? Yes, LIkely? No,

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Dawn O.  keep in mind the person doing 100 or 500 deals over 5 years  that's a boat load of capital they put together.. if its CA your talking 100 million  YES 100 Million at least..

    I suspect there was more to their success than a course .. And remember in any MLM the top of the pyramid those folks make boat loads of money on all the ants below them

    I am not anti paid coaching but it think reality has to come into play as others have stated @Account Closed  its takes more than a course to be successful at real estate.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dawn O.:
    I’ve recently been introduced to Renatus. I wanted to know if anyone here has used their education and mentorship to become successful in real estate. It’s a $20,000 commitment. I’d like to hear your feedback on their program if you’re so inclined.

     Real Estate is actually incredibly simple at it's core. Nothing is secret, tricky or special. Where most people run into trouble is execution. They give up when they don't immediately see results. You have to stick it out & put up with the setbacks. Another thing I see is many of the investors who try to make a go at it are drastically under capitalized. To be successful at real estate investing you need a large amount of income coming in NOW so you can live off of it & invest the excess. Spending $20k on a course isn't going to fix any of those problems.

    Too many look at this business as a way to quit their jobs. It's not a way to quit your job. If you are looking into real estate investing because you want to quit your job or you don't have enough money right now you are in this for the wrong reasons. If you are investing it's a way to provide yourself a better retirement. If you are looking to run an active real estate business, then yes you can quit your job & do that. But that's very different then investing. 

    Myself have a decent amount of rentals & work about 80 hours per week running my businesses. I will be the 1st one to tell you I am not living off of the money I make from the cash flow on my personal rental portfolio (200+ rentals) I am living off of the money that is generated from the $50M+ in annual volume of our Sales, Property Management, Insurance, Title & Digital Media businesses.

  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Take $100 and read some books on basic RE and sales stuff. Stay acrive on BP. Then go to your local REIA and find a succesful wholesaler. Pitch them the idea of joint venturing on a few deals so you can learn the process.

    Spend a few thousand on direct mail, take the calls, go to the appointments, consult the numbers with the partner, put it under contract and then have your partner secure the buyer and other details.

    Win-win...partner gets to close a deal without marketing and you get the education. After 2 you will see how simple it really is. And i guatantee that you will have learned more from this than putting up $20k. 

    Thats just and example for wholesaling. You can do this type of partnership with any investment strategy. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I think that the issue with Renatus isn't the education quality or structure. It's the MLM component behind it. If you do a little bit of searching on the site you can see how some of their members come across. They vehemently defend the "brand" yet haven't ever done a single deal. 

    REI in general has an extremely high wash out %. From some of the coaches I know that number is as high as 90%.

    If the sunk cost principle, a structured course, and interaction with the team is the difference between someone entering financial freedom vs never getting started... That's worth something. I personally haven't paid for any Real Estate education other than @Ben Leybovich 's course when I was looking for something to give to my parents. 

    If you're wanting to understand the basics spend the $500 +/- Ben charges and chat with him, 

    That being said I have honestly heard good things from Rich Dad & Fortune Builders students. Not so much with Renatus. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Dawn O. By the way, I think some of this stuff (i.e. coaching) has a lot to do with you as a person.  Some people love coaching, need coaching, need an accountability partner, and that coaching (taking real estate out of it for a second) helps them be much more successful in anything that they do.  If you thrive on it, you'll find disproportionate value in really any of the programs that are out there.  

    However, I think a lot of people see a lot of these programs as either a "quick-fix" or a "quit your day job in 6 months" or a "guaranteed path to success".  I don't think those things really exist in real estate, stock market day trading, or me learning to try and play golf (I'm lousy at golf just to add another sports example).  I could buy all of the training materials in the world, gets tons of coaching, but as @Jay Hinrichs notes it takes more than a course.  

    I think what might also be important for you to look at is where you think your gaps are that someone could help with in terms of coaching. You've been on BP since 2010 so I'd imagine that you'd scraped a ton of value of the site. You're a real estate agent so I'm assuming you know ARV, can pull comps, etc. relatively easily. You know the buy-and-sell process, you probably know lenders, etc.

    So all of that leads to be to think, wonder, ask:  What's the gap that's left?  Is it that you need someone to help you through rehab projections?  How to manage contractors?  How to come up with an offer price on the courthouse steps?  Or is it that you just need tangible coaching guidance?  

    If you look at that *gap* you might be able to figure out if something from Renatus or any of the other 50 large-scale programs out there are right for you.  But that's a materially different process than "I know a guy who has done 500 flips and he's an affiliate marketer for a $20K course, so should I join the course?"

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Why not give 20k to someone who is the best *insert your investment strategy here* in your area in exchange for their time and knowledge? Isn’t that what you’re essentially doing anyways? People saying buy an investment property, that’s the best way to get your feet wet in my opinion.
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    8y

    I have not heard of it. Go to the trouble and educate your self a little more before you decide if it worth the 20,000. There is weekend boot camp taught by Lloyd segal in la. He also owns a real estate club. The invest club in Glendale will be good too and find a regular meet up in your area.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Certain things like mfh where you need partners to literally qualify for financing you might need to join one of these but I don’t see the need for sfh realm in this day and age where everything is in free podcasts or YouTube.
  • Specialist · New Smyrna Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    As a Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) I would suggest their course of education. You must do deals based on the education you receive to get the CCIM Designation, not just the education. It is well worth the investment of time and money. If your office isn't familiar with the designation, change offices - its not geared to commercial real estate investing. And find your local CCIM's and ask for the scholarships information that the Institute provides no matter which state you are in. I have, as my dad did before me, made a great living using the education and relationships from the CCIM Designation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey:

    I think that the issue with Renatus isn't the education quality or structure. It's the MLM component behind it. If you do a little bit of searching on the site you can see how some of their members come across. They vehemently defend the "brand" yet haven't ever done a single deal. 

    REI in general has an extremely high wash out %. From some of the coaches I know that number is as high as 90%.

    If the sunk cost principle, a structured course, and interaction with the team is the difference between someone entering financial freedom vs never getting started... That's worth something. I personally haven't paid for any Real Estate education other than @Ben Leybovich 's course when I was looking for something to give to my parents. 

    If you're wanting to understand the basics spend the $500 +/- Ben charges and chat with him, 

    That being said I have honestly heard good things from Rich Dad & Fortune Builders students. Not so much with Renatus. 

     $500? Dude you're dreaming. $199 get's it done haha

    There's a favorite movie of mine. It's an oldie called "Some Like it Hot". These two jazz musicians are running from the mafia (they witnessed something they shouldn't have) by dressing as ladies and trying to join an all female band. Crazy funny. Like putting Brandon and me in dresses...

    Well, in one scene one of the guys is loosing it (over Marilyn Monroe) and threatening to blow their cover. So, he starts repeating to himself - I'm a girl; I'm a girl; I'm a girl...

    I'm a guru; I'm a guru; I'm a guru... I should charge more...hahaha

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 85 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    You all have such great wisdom.  I’m glad I asked this question.  I am, and have always been very interested in real estate investing.  That desire has been with me for many years.  I guess I see Renatus as a vehicle for me to learn in and grow from while I do deals.  They talk about the community and collaboration to get deals done.  That’s why I’m considering them.  I’m looking at every possible way to get the education I need to do my first deal.  Then my next few deals.  

    Thank you all for your sage advice!  I truly appreciate what you’ve shared.  

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    It sounds like you really want to take this class. You've mentioned that $20k is a decent chunk of change, so I'm just wondering how you're going to be funding your deals after this $20k is gone? How long will it take you to come up with another $20k? Think about that. 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y

    I second what @Andrew Johnson about your experience.  You have been on BP 7+ years.  You are a licensed RE agent in 3 states.  I suspect you have a lot more RE knowledge than most RE investors had when they started.

    Assuming the issue is not motivation leads me to believe the issue is probably fear.  I think $20K is a lot of money and that there likely is an easier way to overcome whatever is holding you back.  That $20K can prove very helpful on your first investment.

    Have you read the top books on your chosen RE investment field (flipping, buy n hold, wholesaling, syndicates, MF, SF, duplex to quad, notes, trailer parks, storage unit, retail commercial, etc..)?  There is a lot of material available for RE investors including a lot of material on BP.

    However, if you can find no other way to overcome what is holding you back the $20K may be worth it.  If it allows you to get started and minimize your mistakes on your initial investment it could be money well spent.  however, I think that there should be cheaper ways to get you to that point. 

    Good luck

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    WALK AWAY and get a rental property.
  • Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2011 · 47 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    @Dawn O. Please google "renatus ripoff report" before you do anything. There is a lot of info that you should read first. The people running this operation have been sued and shut down before with similar schemes. IMHO it's not worth taking a chance on. There's just too much excellent, free info available online. As stated in some of the posts above, you are already leaps and bounds ahead of most investors with the education that you already possess. Also, as you know, there are many really good people on BP that will help you if you get stuck along the way. Best of luck to you.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 112 posts · 83 votes
    8y

    @Dawn O. Please don't do it. Instead, find a deal by talking to owners. Find an owner by contacting them. Contact them by calling or mail. Get phone numbers or addresses through a list. Get a list by buying one (sources for lists are mentioned all over BP and on the podcast) or create your own (driving for dollars, etc.). In short, TAKE ACTION. Buy a BP book, listen to podcasts, or whatever (heck, buy shares of a REIT). Just don't give someone $20K to tell you how to take action...because I, and a lot of people on this post, just told you how! I wish you all the best, seriously. I think you will find success if you save your money and simply take action to find a deal.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 85 posts · 43 votes
    8y

    @Kris Bennett... Thank you for your wisdom.  I have decided to not spend $20,000 to get education from Renatus.  The money will be better spent on buying a property.  You all are correct. 

    Invest in a REIT! I hadn't thought of that as my strategy at this point, but if I have 20,000 to invest - I guess I could do that as well. Great interjection!

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Dawn O., if you're going to put alternative investment strategies like REIT in to the mix, don't forget to consider the Stock Market, and Cryptocurrencies. ie. If you really don't want individual control over the future improved/diminished value of your investment. Cheers...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.