Buying a Duplex or Fixer-Upper

Buying a Duplex or Fixer-Upper

Hartford, WI · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 50 votes

Hello BP!

I was hoping to get some input from the community about what to do.  So I am actively looking for my first deal and was wondering if it is better to buy a duplex or a fixer upper first.  The duplex would allow me someplace to stay for little to cost but I can only save what I am currently paying for rent.  On the other hand I could but a fixer upper, pay the payment on it and then hopefully sell for a small profit to help fund another deal.

Thoughts?

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
8y

I would think house hacking a duplex would be a good first step. You can save some money on rent and get used to being a landlord. If it goes well you can move out later, refi and buy a house to rehad / flip while you live in the house.

Unless you are an experienced flipper or know a lot about construction, I would not try to flip as your first experience. It can get very costly and is risky.  If you want to flip, find a partner with experience.

good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 312 votes
    8y

    I would think house hacking a duplex would be a good first step. You can save some money on rent and get used to being a landlord. If it goes well you can move out later, refi and buy a house to rehad / flip while you live in the house.

    Unless you are an experienced flipper or know a lot about construction, I would not try to flip as your first experience. It can get very costly and is risky.  If you want to flip, find a partner with experience.

    good luck.

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    As the previous poster mentions a flip without any experience may be a bit tougher.  It is harder (but not impossible) to mess up a good duplex, especially on a first deal.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Hey! @Jared Baker

    I'm currently looking for my first duplex to house hack. I'd say from everyone I have spoke to that has invested in real estate says that house hacking is the best way to go to start off. 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Hey! @Jared Baker

    I'm currently looking for my first duplex to house hack. I'd say from everyone I have spoke to that has invested in real estate says that house hacking is the best way to go to start off. Did you decide on what you're gonna do? 

  • Hartford, WI · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    @Daniel Callahan I think I have, but I am still deciding.  I am thinking I will buy a duplex.  But i will most likely rent out both sides right away.  I'll probably buy something up in the Appleton area since prices are more reasonable.  I'll continue to rent where I am not because commuting over an 2 hours to work every day doesn't make sense to me.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Yeah man you just gotta do whatever makes sense to you @Jared Baker

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Why not a fixer upper duplex? You can slowly fix it up and sell after living there for 2 years. Eligible for 250k tax free profit, while living for cheap/free. Best of both worlds.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.