how much per square are you paying for roofs?

4 Replies

I'm going to need a lot of roofs done this year possibly 10. I've paid a lot of different prices over the years. I paid way too much in the beginning before I new how much roofer can make in one day if you pay those outrageous prices.

So is $275 per square a good price for a two-layer roof tear off with labor material included? I found a few guys lower but they seem to be more like a guy and a truck. With this money roofs I want to hire someone who can handle the work.

@Adam Craig

We have a mixture of flat and pitched roofs, making it even more difficult to find a roofer capable of handling it all.

I would carve out two of your more complicated or larger roofs and have several roofers give you quotes then narrow it down to the one, or two, who offer the best value.   With 10-roofs coming up - particularly if you have some flexibility on when they get done {allowing a roofer to tackle them during slow periods in their bookings}, you should be able to have your selected roofer(s) give even better pricing.

Though we tend to predominately use one roofer in each city, I like to keep a working relationship with an alternate, simply so we do not get caught out.

1(506) 471-4126

I had a standard shingle roof done on a new property this week. I don't know the cost per square, but it cost about $5.25/SF. I don't know how many squares per foot, but if you did then you could reverse engineer what I paid per square.

@Jason L.

A square is 100 sft.  .... 

That's some roof ... and I thought our costs were high up here.   We apply a minimum of 6' if ice & water shield on our pitched roofs (pitches less than 5/12 we often run it to the peak) and use a 25 - 35yr fibreglass shingle and our costs are less (even in CAD).

$525/square is almost in the range of a flat roof 

1(506) 471-4126

Between 150 and 190/square is what the inexpensive roofers here charge - Latino crews. 

My last one was $ 150/square and an extra $ 300 for tear-off of a 2nd layer of shingles. A flat roof would cost more, as it would require rolled roofing and torch down etc. 

Also, keep in mind that 1 square = 100sqf, but that's not the same sqf as the house, because the roof has a pitch. So, a 1500sqf house can easily have a 22squares or more. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.