Green Card to start in Real Estate

8 Replies

Hey guys, 

So I am new to BP, and I am planning on moving to the US, Miami specifically, since my girlfriend is there. Now, I want to start my Real Estate journey ASAP, but I know green cards take some time to be awarded. I really have no clue on this one, so I would really appreciate any assistance or suggestions you might have.

Do I need the green card before even attempting on doing REI?

Thanks you very much and I am glad to be in this awesome community

Originally posted by @Sebastian Najera :

Hey guys, 

So I am new to BP, and I am planning on moving to the US, Miami specifically, since my girlfriend is there. Now, I want to start my Real Estate journey ASAP, but I know green cards take some time to be awarded. I really have no clue on this one, so I would really appreciate any assistance or suggestions you might have.

Do I need the green card before even attempting on doing REI?

Thanks you very much and I am glad to be in this awesome community

Miami is an investor's paradise! You don't need that in order to start investing here. And you can put the property in an entity like an LLC or S Corporation so your identity will remain anonymous.

I am in Miami and work with lots of Foreign Nationals, I can even find you 50% financing on most places. 

Send me a message if you'd like to connect and/or meet up sometime!

Hey Sebastian, welcome to BP. Get going on the green card, get going on the investing at the same time. You will probably need to marry the girl, but you know that already.

Plan to put the money you bring with you and as much of your earnings as you can spare in real estate.

Immigrants have routinely made money in this country for at least the last hundred and fifty years this way. You're going to find a huge number of foreign nationals in this business here in the States, just as @Marc Middleton indicated.

You don't need a green card to start investing, BUT, your question appears as if you think you can just come here and apply. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. 

Are you marrying your girlfriend? That would be one way to get a temporary green card and after a few years you can apply for a permanent green card (will still need to be married then)

Otherwise, you'll have to find a way to get a visa, which you'll have to apply for from your home country. That would be tied to something, whether work or school, and it forbids you to have any kind of business on the side. You're only allowed to do what the visa is based on. 

But maybe I'm misunderstanding part of your query?

@Marc Middleton Thank you very much Marc. Your answer has been very helpful. And as @Jim K. says, I am marrying her. I just wanted to know if it was forbidden to Invest in Real Estate if I didn't have the green card yet. So I can open an entity (LLC) as a foreigner and would have no problem? @Andreina Marquez .
@Michaela G. thank you Michaela, I will marry her, I just wanted to know if there is any problem for me to start investing while my green card is in process. 
Thank you very much everyone you have been very helpful

I think you'll be fine buying a property, while it's still in the process, but I'd be careful about selling - as that would now create a profit and could hurt you during investigation for your green card. 

@Sebastian Najera

There will be no bar to starting an LLC here as a foreign national, as you said. I've been through this with foreign medical graduates and the ECFMG. USCIS is very sensitive to the chances of drug profits being brought back from abroad and reinvested in this country by foreign nationals. This is not something you're really going to have to worry about in your real estate endeavors, Dr. Najera. Welcome to the USA. We need you badly.