Where should I buy property

Where should I buy property

Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 7 votes

Fort Worth is a great market for housing.  I know the areas where I would be comfortable buying property but how do I narrow down my search areas from cities to neighborhoods?  I've read the chamber of commerce posts and found where the city is injecting money but those areas don't attract very solid renters.  How else would I find where the next neighborhood is going to go through a resurgence?  I have thoughts on the matter because of what I see when I'm driving for dollars but I'm not an expert. Any ideas, thoughts, or expert opinions would be appreciated. 

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 20 votes
8y

Jeffrey,

Sounds like you have already done some good research! I couldn't tell from you post, but what is your strategy? Buy and hold, flip, BRRRR, etc. I think your strategy and goals will help you determine the neighborhoods you should narrow your search to. For example, in Arlington Heights where 2 bed 2 bath homes go for $350k flippers have much more success than rental owners.

Once you know your strategy, I think it becomes more of a numbers game. You mentioned you know areas where you would be comfortable buying property in. Look up comps (leverage an agent if needed) and see if the numbers make sense for you. That will probably knock off some more neighborhoods. Over 18,000 people moved to Fort Worth last year, so chances are if you can make the numbers work and the property is in an area you would live in one of those 18,000 people will too.  

I am a local agent and investor in Fort Worth, so if I can help you in anyway just message me and we can connect. I'm always interested in talking to others about real estate and helping any way I can. Good luck!

-Zane Zeigler

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Jeffrey,

    Sounds like you have already done some good research! I couldn't tell from you post, but what is your strategy? Buy and hold, flip, BRRRR, etc. I think your strategy and goals will help you determine the neighborhoods you should narrow your search to. For example, in Arlington Heights where 2 bed 2 bath homes go for $350k flippers have much more success than rental owners.

    Once you know your strategy, I think it becomes more of a numbers game. You mentioned you know areas where you would be comfortable buying property in. Look up comps (leverage an agent if needed) and see if the numbers make sense for you. That will probably knock off some more neighborhoods. Over 18,000 people moved to Fort Worth last year, so chances are if you can make the numbers work and the property is in an area you would live in one of those 18,000 people will too.  

    I am a local agent and investor in Fort Worth, so if I can help you in anyway just message me and we can connect. I'm always interested in talking to others about real estate and helping any way I can. Good luck!

    -Zane Zeigler

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 208 posts · 70 votes
    8y

    Locating properties in blue collar neighborhoods within great school districts is a good start. Good school districts will always help drive rental demand. I like Keller, Birdville and HEB School Districts in FW.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    The closer to home you can buy the better in my opinion. It's just easier to analyze, research, manage and all the rest. But if you're looking for high cash flow properties, the midwest and southeast are the best.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey Bland:

    Fort Worth is a great market for housing.  I know the areas where I would be comfortable buying property but how do I narrow down my search areas from cities to neighborhoods?  I've read the chamber of commerce posts and found where the city is injecting money but those areas don't attract very solid renters.  How else would I find where the next neighborhood is going to go through a resurgence?  I have thoughts on the matter because of what I see when I'm driving for dollars but I'm not an expert. Any ideas, thoughts, or expert opinions would be appreciated. 

     Are you looking to invest OOS? If so, I would check out some markets in the Midwest. Rents are going up and prices are still low!

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Zane, I am currently pursuing my first 2 $200k duplexes and\or a $350-400k duplex/multiplex. I plan to employ the Buy and Hold or BRRRR methods for ten years to reach my goal of 75-100 unit multiplex in order to retire my wife. Connecting would be great as I'm looking to network and also find another agent. Thanks for your post.

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Tyler H, 

    Thanks for your insight. 

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Thanks also to Andrew Syrios and Tom Ott for your time and input .  I understand that time spent coaching new folks isn't exactly earning you any money.  It doesn't go unnoticed.  I want to get started investing closer to home just for peace of mind.  I am not saying though, that I am totally against OOS opportunities in the future.  That would be wasting a resource imo. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.