OOS Investing from California - partner?

OOS Investing from California - partner?

San Ramon, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 32 votes

I've been antsy for months to get in on my first rental property. I have the savings to do so, but I live in the East Bay in California where rentals are through the roof and cash flow is almost nonexistent. 

I have a mentor (my grandpa) who lives north of Sacramento, and we have been scouring that area for buy and hold for cash flow for some time with no luck yet.

My mentor is older and while he has had out of state properties in the past, he is not familiar with the new OOS market and the modern day advantages technology offers for finding rentals. He thinks it's sketchy (which it can be!)

I've read David Greene's book on out of state RE investing and have been searching the MLS in markets like the Midwest, TX, and Ohio. I know about the system and team I need to create if I want to do this (agent, lender, property manager, etc.).

I would feel a whole lot more comfortable if I had an experienced OOS investing partner to help me through my first deal. I realize it's asking a lot, but I'm highly motivated, have the capital, time, and am ready now! If there is anyone out there who is willing to help in any way, that would be a godsend. If not, I understand.

Regardless, good luck to everyone in their RE journey!

4Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Central Coast, CA · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
6y

I currently have 6 doors in SLO county, CA. I'm trying to shift my focus to OOS investing to achieve a higher CAP with a lower cost of entry. This was a helpful post. Thank you!

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hey Kyle, 

    I would be happy to help you if you decide to look towards the Oklahoma City market. I would definitely recommend you narrow down a few markets and then try to visit the city you are most interested in and meet some "boots on the ground" contacts. You can definitely do out of state investing without ever setting foot there, but I think it's helpful to get on the ground at least occasionally to get a feel for the areas you are looking at and make sure your "boots on the ground" people are leading you in the right direction. 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    8y

    You are not alone.  I come across many investors from CA, new and more experienced, that invest for CF here in the mid-west for all the same reasons you stated.  Some I even partner with.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    What kind of properties are you hoping to get into? Seems like you might be focusing on the more complicated ways of doing things...fixing up properties, etc. Maybe not, but sounds like you're thinking it will be more complicated than it has to be. 

    You can make an OOS investment as easy or as complicated as possible. Turnkey being the easiest usually, rehabbing being the hardest. I'm in CA and I've always done turnkey just to keep it more simple and straightforward.

  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Ali Boone

    In the beginning I am definitely hoping to invest more in turnkey properties, or properties with minimal rehab work. I'm looking for buy and hold rentals that will cash flow in an area that will hopefully appreciate.

    You've had success in OOS investing from CA using turnkey?

  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Cassi Justiz

    Yes, I have had another recommendation about the OKC market. It isn't one I have studied, but I'm going to now. I'm really interested in any market where buy and hold properties can cash flow with some appreciation over time. 

    Also I understand visiting the area is important, but not necessary. This is why I was hoping to partner with someone who already has had success in the area and is knowledgeable about the market.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Marek:

    @Ali Boone

    In the beginning I am definitely hoping to invest more in turnkey properties, or properties with minimal rehab work. I'm looking for buy and hold rentals that will cash flow in an area that will hopefully appreciate.

    You've had success in OOS investing from CA using turnkey?

    Yeah, that's mostly all I've done. I have a couple properties I didn't buy turnkey but everything else is. To each their own of course, and not everyone likes the turnkey idea, but it's worked great for me. It switches my "job" to be managing the manager, so to speak, rather than managing the property and the tenants. I still have to do due diligence and keep an eye out and occasionally make decisions, but it's really minimal time investment on my part. And there's very little I haven't been able to handle over the phone.

    Hope that helps! Reach out anytime if I can be of any help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2017 · 419 posts · 499 votes
    8y
    @Kyle Marek, you can go a different route and do short term vacation rentals. They can be pretty easily self managed once you figure out a routine and there’s tons of info here to help. I’m about 30 miles south of you and I invest OOS in Hawaii vacation rentals and do quite well. However, this is an expensive market to get into. There are less expensive markets in TN and FL that also do quite well. If you have the time to put in some work your returns will be exponentially better. But don’t be fooled, you’re buying a part time job unless you manage it out.
  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Mike V.

    Mike, my DREAM is to own a vacation rental in Hawaii. I love Maui, go there to chill and surf and hang as often as I can. It is an expensive market though like you said, and probably not a great one for me to start in right now. That being said, I'd love to talk to you about your experience should I find myself ready to look there!

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Mike V. I should hit you up for coffee in a month or so. I live in San Jose and I’ve thought about Hawaii for VRBO but didn’t know if the numbers would work. But I keep seeing a few people who seem to be doing alright.
  • Rental Property Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2017 · 419 posts · 499 votes
    8y
    @Kyle Marek there are less expensive markets to get your foot in the door, and the returns as a % will be comparable @Dave Dash, hit me up anytime. I can talk about Hawaii all day lol
  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Dave Dash

    Please do, I’d be interested! Pm me and we can exchange contact info.

  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Ramsin Jacob

    I’d be interested in looking into it! Can you send me the details in a PM?

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Kyle Marek Did you get a deal done? I'm also in the East Bay. I've been trying to house hack a multifam for almost a year but haven't been able to get a deal done. Thinking about going OOS with a partner to split costs and risk.

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Marek

    I’d recommend looking into Columbus OH!

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Im in the East Bay and I invest in Cleveland. If you need an agent out there let me know 

  • Investor · Multiple · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 150 votes
    6y

    @Brian Garlington I’d be interested in a phone call to discuss Cleveland. What about it makes it a good place to invest?

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Only if you're already pre-approved sir. There are way to many tire kickers that that reach out about Cleveland and over 90 percent don't do anything.....that includes the bigshots that claim they don't need a pre-approval because they are "supposedly" paying cash. 

    No disrespect....just basing this on experience.

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

    Only if you're already pre-approved sir. There are way to many tire kickers that that reach out about Cleveland and over 90 percent don't do anything.....that includes the bigshots that claim they don't need a pre-approval because they are "supposedly" paying cash. 

    No disrespect....just basing this on experience.

    Preach

  • Canoga Park, CA · Member since 2020 · 84 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    What is OOS?

  • Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 207 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Stands for Out Of State

  • Investor · Multiple · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 150 votes
    6y

    @Brian Garlington fair enough Sir. Do you want a local lender to preapprove me or is my current lender from WI?

  • Investor · Multiple · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 150 votes
    6y

    @Robert Ellis testify!

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Marek  There are multifamily properties in the Modesto area that can still cash flow if you buy and manage them right.  I'm not selling anything, but feel free to dm if you're interested in hearing more.  I've got a property manager I'm super happy with I can refer to you as well if you're interested. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Central Coast, CA · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    I currently have 6 doors in SLO county, CA. I'm trying to shift my focus to OOS investing to achieve a higher CAP with a lower cost of entry. This was a helpful post. Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Kyle Marek

    Your grandpa will likely be adverse to OOS. But with the internet and our ability to connect with randos and build webs of connections it makes it possible to invest where the numbers make sense.

    San Francisco, Hawaii, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston are examples of primary markets which are NOT ideal for cashflow investing.

    It could appreciate but I consider that gambling. Sophisticated investors invest on cashflow where the rents exceed the mortgage plus expenses (and enough money to pay for professional property manage to do our dirty work).

    Sophisticated investors look at the Rent-to-Value Ratio and look for at least 1% or more to be able to cashflow after expenses. You find the Rent-to-Value Ratio by taking the monthly rent dividing by the purchase price. For example a $100,000 home that rents for 1,000 a month would have a Rent-to-Value Ratio of 1%. Most people I work with live in primary markets (as opposed to Birmingham, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Memphis, Little Rock, Jacksonville, Ohio, or other secondary or tertiary markets) where the Rent-to-Value Ratios are under 1%.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.