Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Bob S.
Votes |
why SFH and multifamily? why not condos?

Bob S.
Posted Nov 20 2018, 08:38

i've had a really difficult time grasping why condos are a bad option for buy-and-hold investments. that's the feeling i've been getting from the forums - and even the Rental Calculator; it doesn't have an option for Condos... maybe i'm being too literal.

for example, if i buy a multifamily, i have to maintain the entire building and landscaping around it. if i choose to outsource the maintenance, i pay the premium for that.

if i buy a SFH, same deal as above.

if i buy a condo, i pay an HOA which, of course takes a bite out of my bottom line as well. i've read that condo associatons can be a mess and special assessments could happen - but of course i would do my own due diligence to research this ahead of time. nobody can always predict all possible issues.

however, the same can happen with a MF or SFH... a roof can go bad. siding. windows... etc. - capital expenditures happen.

so... how is this different than these potential issues with a condo?

i see this as "there is no perfect option" - but the best one that suits you. in my area, SFH and MF aren't affordable enough for me to start out with. i find condos as a good starting option (seeing cap rates of 6+% etc.) for me, and i can build on investments from there.

thanks ahead of time. i am sure i am misinformed in some ways and/or not understanding this appropriately.

Loading replies...