Chris Sawtelle
  • Santa Clara, CA
Votes |
Becoming a Syndactor

Chris Sawtelle
  • Santa Clara, CA
Posted Dec 3 2018, 17:57

Hello everyone! 

I am a real estate investor in California who started out researching single family homes and ended up investing in multifamily. I have been studying up on syndicating and really want to dig into the nitty gritty with someone who has experience. 

My intent is that I will collect investments from friends, family, and colleagues (all non-accredited investors). I understand the trials and tribulations of working with friends and family, but I am willing to take these on for my first deal.

My experience in real estate isn't super extensive but I am a data engineer for my day job with a background in statistics and finance. This is all to say that I feel confident that I can manage a distressed apartment complex with fairly good numbers and a few issues. I could be crazy, that is not what I want to talk about. :)

My question is what are the options for financing a project ~$1-2 million dollars if I can come up with agreements to collect a down payment of what I am assuming would be 30%. Also assuming the legal side is taken care of such as filing with the SEC, although advice on that is appreciated.

1) What kind of lenders would make this deal?

- Are there specific deals for this type of arrangement?

- Are interests rates similar to investment properties at this level of financing?

- Can it be done without a balloon-type loan? Ex traditional 30yr or even 20yr financing?

2) What are the personal requirements to get this kind of loan aside from property numbers like debt coverage ratio?

- Cash reserves requirements?

- Experience requirements?

I am sure this can be just a kicking off point for extended discussion if anyone is willing to engage. :) 

Loading replies...