Lactchel vs SuperTenders

8 Replies

I'm starting out with a triplex that I plan to self-manage (in Pittsburgh). I'm thinking about outsourcing the maintenance response piece to either Latchel or SuperTenders. They seem very similar in that they handle emergency and non-emergency maintenance calls and, critically, even dispatch contractors/service-people with minimal intervention from me. So if I'm away for the week and *[email protected]# happens, they handle things. Does anyone have experience with either company? Or maybe you have other solutions for this?

Thanks!

Hi Brent. I did go with them. Had their service for about 3 months now. I only have two units under their contract as I self manage those and use latchel as my emergency call service. Haven’t had a call to them from tenants yet so hard to evaluate. The real test will be when a tenant has an emergency. 

@Jeff Galak Hi Jeff, ok thanks. I had a call with them and am thinking about turning over 20 of my units to them for their "premium" all maintenance type solution. I'm certainly apprehensive as I've never spoken to anyone that has used their service. Hopefully you won't need their services for a long time! Thanks Jeff.

@Jeff Galak no XP with either, but after looking over the sites both appear to be mostly a call line and contractor dispatcher, which many self-managed investors can often handle now via contractor directories like Thumbtack, Angie’s List to start until you find your reliable go-to’s. Put a virtual potential call center at the front line to field calls and this feels like something that could be done cheaper than what appears to be $26/door/mo.

Have you self-managed before? How does this compare? Are you seeing additional value-add from the service beyond just Rolodex contractor dispatch? I could see a value-play here for monthly financial reporting, if not handled directly through PM systems. Genuinely curious, as there has certainly been points where I go away on vacation for a week and just need a temp dispatcher, but here we are talking at least month-month contracts, yes?

Cliff, first, on pricing. If I'm not mistaken it is $25/month base + $1/month/unit...so not $26/door/mo. I could be wrong though...I've been billed $26/month so far. 

And yes, I think largely what I wanted was to never have to deal with the middle of the night call. I tell my tenants that for regular maintenance issues they should just call/text me. I have contractors I use so no issues. For emergencies (fire, water, structure) they should call Latchel who then, in theory (again, never had to test it yet...thankfully!), triage to see if the issue is a real emergency and then dispatch from my list of provided contractors. Real estate is not my primary job, and I travel quite a bit, so having the piece of mind that I don't have to worry about the 2am call is absolutely worth the fee. 

Thanks for clarification @Jeff Galak . Reviewing their product page it does appear the $25/month is base with the marginal $1/unit pricing after that. 

https://latchel.com/emergency/

So more economical as the portfolio grows, though very curious Your XP once repairs are triggered since most after hours calls would be “surge pricing” for any contractor they bring in. 

in 15 years I’ve only had a few of the stereotypical “after hours broken toilet” calls, but I know that’s highly variable by location and property class. I’ve also used Home Warranty services (could write a book actually) as a hedge for C class properties I managed in the past so I empathize with the intent. 

Do post back here at a later time with your observations on the repair dispatch process and pricing. Could be something that could really benefit other investors to understand better from a first hand perspective.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here