If you had $100,000???

If you had $100,000???

Investor · Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 82 votes

If you had $100,000, no debt, no investments and the knowledge you have now, what would you do with it???

0Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
7y

Head to vegas and and let it all ride

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    7y

    Head to vegas and and let it all ride

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @John Matthew Johnston i would do low cost quick turn deals until I built it up to a larger number. That  may be a lot easier to do in my market then yours

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Need about 2X that amount as downpayment for a very small modest home.  Nothing other than a shack  is under 1M for several years.

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I could easily buy 10-12 existing rentals for $400,000. $100K is 25% down. Each rents for no less than $600 at the purchase and I would increase most of those over the next 12 months. Send me your $100K and I will pay you 8% fixed APR for 3 years, then sell or refi you out of the deal.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y

    1 - Flip the cash 10 times at 15% profit, reinvesting the profits each time ~ $400k plus.

    2 - Continue to flip the $400k at 15% profit, but invest the profit ONLY in NNN commercial properties.

    3 - Continue to flip the same $400k, over and over again, repeating the profits until your arm gets tired.

    4 - Continue to buy NNN commercial properties with the profits ONLY.

    5 - When tired, cash in all of the $400k into a NNN.

    6 - In the end, you will have an unlimited number of properties you can buy, without spending a dime during the entire process.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Charming ladies of low repute and a certain white powder associated with marching and various countries in South America.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    @Jim K.  Subway sandwhich shop. friend of mine owns 3.. they take about 100 to 125k.. and they make about 50k net a year until subway is paid off then they make about 100k NET a year.. far better than rental real estate. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Financial freedom one footlong at a time...pushing bread to prosperity and beyond...the cold cut combo shortcut to cold hard cash...thanks, I'm here all week.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Financial freedom one footlong at a time...pushing bread to prosperity and beyond...the cold cut combo shortcut to cold hard cash...thanks, I'm here all week.

    you just get to your tenant before he / she moves into your C D class rental.. I mean that's were they work right.. so have them make your sandwiches and rent your low end houses. Double dip as it where.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @John Matthew Johnston not buy low income crappy propeties as a long distance landlord from a guy named Clayton Morris.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y
  • Rental Property Investor · Nederland, TX · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Joe Villeneuve I like your idea. Where’d you get $400k by flipping 10 times at 15%?

    And also you said reinvest the profits...reinvest to what?

    Thank you!

  • Contractor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 407 votes
    7y
    @John Matthew Johnston With 100k, I'd open either a Subway Franchise or buy another FedEx Route. That's a good amount to buy a good business once you have high income then you can jump into better A B class rentals. My buddy owns a subway and it does well! Despite all of the competition and Jateds legal issues, people still love their sandwhich! I own a FedEx route and it does great, your biggest struggle would he retaining drivers and finding people with squeaky clean records and pass drug tests which is a little tough since we are a pot friendly state haha. Best of luck!
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    not declare I had $100,000 on the internet...

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dustin Hood:

    @Joe Villeneuve I like your idea. Where’d you get $400k by flipping 10 times at 15%?

    And also you said reinvest the profits...reinvest to what?

    Thank you!

     Compounding effect.  For the first 10 flips, you reinvest the profits back into the seed money (originally $100k) and it should grow to $400k (new seed money).  Then continue to flip the seed money (now $400k), but don't reinvest the profits...instead, spend them on bills and/or buying cash flow properties.  Since you will not be spending (one time use) your seed money ($400k)...you keep trying, but you keep getting it back "with friends (the 15% profit)"...you will be generating new profits with every flip.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @John Matthew Johnston Study what aspect of the real estate game best suits your personality and your ability to handle various levels of stress. Once you find what’s best for YOU. Invest in it.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Matthew Johnston:

    If you had $100,000, no debt, no investments and the knowledge you have now, what would you do with it???

     I'd use it to promote whirled peas

  • Rental Property Investor · Depends on where my employer sends me · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 142 votes
    7y

    @Joe Villeneuve what does NNN stand for?

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Only if the 100k comes with the experience and knowledge I have now would I use that money.  If I didn't have that experience/knowledge I would pretend I didn't have it and learn to make it in this business on 10k or less.  Once you can do that, you will know exactly what to do with the 100k.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @John Matthew Johnston:

    If you had $100,000, no debt, no investments and the knowledge you have now, what would you do with it???

     I'd use it to promote whirled peas

     If you whirl peas too much, doesn't that eventually turn into baby food?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Wesley Whitehead:

    @Joe Villeneuve what does NNN stand for?

     Triple Net

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ian Walsh:

    Only if the 100k comes with the experience and knowledge I have now would I use that money.  If I didn't have that experience/knowledge I would pretend I didn't have it and learn to make it in this business on 10k or less.  Once you can do that, you will know exactly what to do with the 100k.

     I like this answer, except I think too many people that would be in the position of having that $100k with NO experience, would just spend it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 53 votes
    7y

    I'd thoroughly research whether Real Estate is something you'd want to dabble in... maybe get yourself some experience by going for a partnership to get yourself into things to learn the ropes for a flip, a BRRRR, a rental. Then once you have confidence, jump in if you're wanting to be in the game.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Haha well, I'd buy a $10M apartment complex. 

  • Kingston, NY · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Ned Carey I was just in Baltimore. There are a ton of low prices deals in what seem like decent areas to the outsider. What’s it like to sell them as a flipper? Rental?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.