Is it really about not spending the money you make?

Is it really about not spending the money you make?

Lincoln, NE · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 21 votes

Hey BP!  I'm still quite new around here so I know I'm risking outing myself as someone who "doesn't get it yet" by asking this, but I've been consuming everything I can to try to educate myself - podcasts, books, forum conversations.  (I have yet to get out to a local meet-up, but  I'll get there.)  I think of this as part of what it takes for a new investor like me to get up to speed.

One thing that keeps coming up - particularly as I read my way through some of the titles folks on the podcast identify as their favorite business books - is the idea of drastically minimizing expenses.  I guess the volume and frequency of the "you must live an exceptionally modest lifestyle" message has surprised me and I'm curious if you have tips for how to accomplish the spirit of what they're saying without drifting into self-deprivation.  Live below you means, sure, but some of this advice...I dunno.

Of course I get that living on $20,000 a year, for example, would provide a big boost to my wealth building but I've lived on that income before, as I'm sure many of us have, and I don't recall it being very pleasant.  I don't need to splash money all over the place, but what's the point of using real estate as a tool to build passive income and increase my long-term wealth if it doesn't also improve my standard of living as I go along?  Sure my retirement would be GREAT if I save 50% of my income, but...  What am I missing here, BP?

14Reply
380 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
7y

I can see how just saving for retirement would not be a very big why.  The folks I know that 'do without' have a stronger reason than to have a big nest egg someday. 

We and others you have listened to I'm sure just prioritize things differently.  I've never been impressed by or been driven to purchase brand new cars or phones or clothes or exotic vacations, etc. I'd rather have freedom. Not yearning for things that drop in value has allowed me to not have had to clock in anywhere for 17 years.  

We still have wonderful experiences and fun.  My boys and I might play frisbee golf and go for a Costco hotdog afterward for a treat where others may do something costing far more than $8, but we don't feel we are doing without at all.  Another favorite we do is kids bowl free, a national thing.  I'll get a pass all summer for $20 to bowl 2 games a day if I want.  The kids are completely free.  Great memories can be built without large dollar signs.

I don't have to be very frugal anymore, but it's hard not to be. It's what we like and what we are used to. I now have a car that goes too fast and is too small to carry tools or kids.  Big whoop. Got it at a steal with no payments. If purchased years ago with payments when I was broke, it would have delayed my semi-retiement 10yrs. Our priorities are still in the correct order I think. 

It's up to you.  Would you rather pay retail for things that will be worth less (wothless) later? Or change how you define fun and important for freedom?  90+% of workers run on a wheel well into their 60s.  Be normal if you want to.

See this reply in the discussion

109 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Hartford, CT · Member since 2017 · 168 posts · 163 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Pozzi

    Well, I think you answered your own question without realizing it. Truth is, if you inflate your lifestyle to keep up with your income, you will not increase your wealth. I think what the podcasts are talking about is keeping your lifestyle the same, so that you can build your wealth as your income grows. Wealth is created between the gap of what you earn and what you spend.

    That said, enjoy the things you enjoy but pay attention to your spending! Find hobbies that are free or low cost, and ENJOY your life, no matter your income!

    Good luck and happy investing!

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    As a landlord we have an opportunity to see first hand how a large percentage of the population lives paycheck to paycheck and by obseriving them we can be encouraged to do the opposite.  

    A wise ruler once wrote:  The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower becomes the lender's slave. 

    Many will argue that debt isn't bad and there are cases where it's good and necessary but it probably hinders more families from reaching financial independence than it helps.  Without these families most of us would be in a different  business.

    Live beneath your means and marry over your head. 

  • Bryce StewartPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    A lot of people advise investing in real estate and saving money so that you can eventually "do what you love" or "pursue what you want to pursue", with the assumption that everyone's preferences are different and that there are nearly an infinite number of 'dreams' that achieve human happiness. If this were true, there would be good data to back it up. In studies measuring self-reported happiness, you'd expect a wide distribution and scatter-shot graph of the priorities of individuals, spanning a multitude of life trajectories. 

    But it's not true - plenty of scientific studies have attempted to identify and isolate the factors that lead to human happiness. Study after study keeps landing on the SAME factor as the perennial leader, year after year - transcending culture, gender, creed, party, race, etc. Not only is it the runaway #1 contributor to happiness, it's apparently a key contributor to longevity. The results of this Harvard study, although unique, have been confirmed by various other shorter endeavors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KkKuTCFvzI

    Real estate investing, like all human endeavors, should have the purpose of improving the lives of the people who engage in it. Because good, close, human relationships are the key driver of happiness (not an opinion; a data conclusion), real estate investing should be used to prepare for or buttress, protect, and enrich what ought to be our primary objective: loving those around us well, and being loved accordingly. Consumption of material things measures fairly low on the happiness scale - especially if done in isolation, without friends or family.

    For this reason, it makes sense to sacrifice needless consumption (call it frugality if you must) in order to create a passive income stream as quickly as possible, which should have the primary purpose of freeing up our time in order to devote more of it to the primary pursuit of good, healthy, relationships - and freeing up our minds so that we can be emotionally "present" when around those we love.

  • Real Estate Broker · Park Ridge, IL · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Usually with buy and hold investing, you are basically putting enough down to then have the renters buy the property for you over the next 30 years.

    As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, you should also find a good job so you can live a comfortable lifestyle as well. -- You shouldn't have to live on Ramon Noodles and clothes from Goodwill so that you can afford repairs when things breakdown.

    Many of the investors who are posting advice like that are probably not making much at their day job and hence suggest that you live a humble life for the sake of building up your next egg of rental properties.  -- Which is fine too if you are in that position.

    Retiring before 65 with a few paid off rental buildings is the way to go (you can still manage them for monthly income or sell the buildings and add the proceeds to your retirement fund).

    Good luck,

    John

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Randy E.:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

      Great memories can be built without large dollar signs.

     This should be printed 100 point bold with flashing letters.  

    A few years ago, I had a discussion with another father of young children who said he could not imagine depriving his children of the necessary things in childhood that create wonderful childhood memories.  His example was a yearly trip to DisneyWorld (or DisneyLand, I can't remember which) where they stayed a few days at a lodge inside the park.  I mentioned that I could create great memories for my kids by going to a big lake in a small town, or to the beach near the end of the season, for a fraction of the cost.  The other father insisted that it took a $3500 Disney vacation to create such memories.  To each, his own.  

    If someone can spend like that and still save enough money to invest, that's great.  If someone who spends like that complains that they simply "can't" save enough to invest, well that's a different story.  Someone who doesn't earn enough to spend big and save big has to make a decision on what's really important to themselves.  If you want to invest, really want to invest, then you will save.  If you want to live a lifestyle that prevents you (on your current income) from saving enough to invest, that's a choice you can also make.  Neither is right or wrong, but one will help you become an investor more quickly than the other.

    a 10 dollar rod and reel combo and some worms or grub worms and go fishing for blue gill or crappie tell me what 3 to 7 year old would not dig that.. and many times they dont need a license. :)

    3-7 year old?

    I'm 32.

    Sign me up! 

  • Developer · Point Pleasant Beach, NJ · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 216 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Pozzi worry about making more money. Not living like you are a pauper. Clipping coupons is fine if your time is worth 50 cents there and a dollar here. I recommend focusing on things that will make you big bucks and don’t worry about the little expenses that make life more enjoyable.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
    7y

    HI Ryan,  I agree with @James Ma and @Joe Villeneuveand @John Meyers 

    Everyone find what works for them.  It sounds like you might be more like me, looking for a balance between building wealth while living in the here-and-now and giving to community and while making life enjoyable for my family and friends in the here-and-now.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Lombardi:

    @Ryan Pozzi worry about making more money. Not living like you are a pauper. Clipping coupons is fine if your time is worth 50 cents there and a dollar here. I recommend focusing on things that will make you big bucks and don’t worry about the little expenses that make life more enjoyable.

     although the reality is what do they do for a living..   I have clients that work for high tech ( bay area companies) make 250k a year salary and 500 to 750k bonus each year.  they can afford to invest or invest in my deals.  If your working a job that makes combined 100k a year or less you MUST drastically control expenses.   SO on this thread I am guessing you have those that dont make a ton of money monthly but have the will power to save and invest.. those are investors who are relying on real estate to float their boat.. 

    I dont personally dont need any rental income.. have really never had it. and we do just fine.. the 350 homes I owned I never took a dime out of those.. I did get a 7 figure buy out when i left. that to me is making money

  • Rental Property Investor · Union, ME · Member since 2018 · 161 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Pozzi so I have struggled with the same thing! My wife and I make around $40k but I have a lot of term debt ($1,200 per month, ouch!). I've come to the conclusion that cutting back for most people depends on how extravagant their life was to begin with. For example, we didn't cut the cable, but we did downgrade from DirecTV premium package to our local cable basic package. Saved me $100/month, and the only thing I'm missing out on is Monday/Thursday Night Football, which we can go to a friends whenever the Pats are playing. Also, instead of paying for Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Amazon Prime, we use our family's, each of us pays one and we all use their login. We get everything we were getting at $50.00 per month at $10/month. So, if you're like me and can't really cut back on too much, think more of the VALUE than the actual amount, try to do things smarter. I have basically the same product, but at literally $140/month less.

  • Rental Property Investor · Union, ME · Member since 2018 · 161 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    Just a side note to the above, my wife came to me last week and said, "Babe, since we've been trying to spend less on our food budget, I've gotten so used to being on a budget that I literally can't spend more than $100.00 a week. I tried, bought almost two weeks worth of groceries and it came to $99.95!" We eat almost exclusively vegetarian, non-GMO or Organic. Not exactly a budgeter's diet! Yet just because we look for the value, we eat healthier than most everyone we know, at a cost lower than most people who buy manufactured crap!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chubbuck, ID · Member since 2018 · 532 posts · 466 votes
    7y

    I recommend you read the millionaire next door and rich dad poor dad. No one says you have to live on $20 k a year; only you can decide your budget. The best way to get started as a successful re investor is to first have your financial house in order and second use your income to purchase things that go up in value instead of down. If I can save up $20 k a year for example I can buy 5 $100 k houses in five years with leverage.  If I only save $2k a year it will take me 10 years to buy one house. See how my net worth and cash flow will increase significantly by sacrificing a little and saving an extra $18 k a year. Most people waste that $18 k anyway and have no idea where it went.

    You have to decide your standard of living and what % you spend and what you invest each month. Some of us want financial freedom sooner so we sacrifice more now. I consider myself pretty frugal, but I definitely have chilled out and spend a little more money now that my income, assets and net worth is up, but I am still meeting my savings and investment goals each month. It is easier with higher income.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeff C.:

    How much you'll have to "deprive" yourself to achieve a decent savings rate is of course largely dependent on your income. If you're looking to put away $30k a year and all you're making is $30k, then no degree of asceticism is going to do the trick. Your time and effort would probably be better spent looking to increase your income. Now if you're making $300k a year and consistently have nothing left over, then yes you probably have a spending problem and it's time to analyze that and do some realignment. 

    I don't focus so much on not spending money as I do on extracting maximum value from every dollar I spend. There's a right way even to spend a lot of money. I like nice things. However I'm not a retail buyer of anything.. from my home, to cars, right down to my socks. For example I own, and have owned, quite a few high end swiss watches. I wait until I spot great deals, buy and wear them for a few years, sell them and get my money back (and often times more). My aggregate cost of owning them over the years is less than zero (other than the opportunity cost of funds). I bought my house, which was certainly more house than I needed at the time, at a trustees sale well below market. I take quite a few vacations (roughly 40 countries so far), with the airfare mostly being paid for by miles accumulated through putting business expenses on my credit cards and collecting sign up bonuses for said cards. I accumulate hotel points in the same way. I also never buy new cars. I prefer to let some other sucker drive them 10-20k miles first and lose 40% of their money.

    I save most of my income, but I don't feel deprived in the least.

    Yup miles and points one of the great equalizers of those in the business. I get nervous when i have less than a million miles banked. and less than 2 million hotel points.  I have not paid for a business class trip abroad in 20 some years or paid for the hotel.

    Not sure I have been to 40 countries.. but been to all continents but OZZIE land which is next.  we go to Hawaii a bunch since its close to us.. 2 to 3 times a year for the last I dont know 30 years or so.. 

    Travel to me is a must .. I could not even fathom just sitting at home day in day out.. be that no where ville middle America or even living like I did in the Napa Valley or Palo Alto or Portland .. and now Vegas which a lot of people like those spots. 

    Its why we do what we do right ???? 

    However I see the flip side of very conservative folks that will die with millions in real estate and cash  and if that make them happy that is cool too.. but just not for me. I would rather live on the edge a little and have all these great life experinces.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Bryan Clement  You saved $100/month on cable?  I thought my cable and internet were pricey for what I got and combined they are just over $100 a month.  

    I agree that it is all relative, but if you never had it, you don't miss it.  Don't worry about keeping up with the neighbours or family, chances are what you see isn't the whole story.

  • Rental Property Investor · Union, ME · Member since 2018 · 161 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris DirecTV premium package with Showtime, HBO, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc. Etc., ended up being about $150. When I combined the TV with my internet provider it worked out to be about $40 more than the $60 I was already paying for my internet service. So dumb! Better now, thankfully my cable service pays out contract cancelation fees or I would have been stuck for another year!

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 265 posts · 305 votes
    7y
    Ryan Pozzi The abundance mindset thinks “expand your means” and the scarce mindset thinks “live below your means.” One simple example of expanding your means: Buy the new car you want, just make sure you bought the positive-cash flowing asset first so the new car payments are covered.
  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    It all depends on the lifestyle you are accustomed to and your perception of money in your life.
    Personally, I'm really passionate about the idea of stable future and certain benefits for my children. It seems to me much more important than splaching out carelessly today.
    I mean, I can't say I have a modest lifestyle or spin out money, but I don't purchase brand new cars or eat in pricey restaurants, as I just can't see any point in it.
    And I'm sure that it is worth having peaceful  old age and knowing our children will still have savings , in case they have financial trouble. 

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 487 votes
    7y

    Great responses here from everyone.

    My feeling is that if you hit the big items out of the park (cars, mortgage payments, credit cards), you don't need to worry so much about the small stuff. All of our friends spend $1200-2000/month paying their rent or mortgage, while we pay $200/month because we live in one unit of our duplex.

    That's a lot of lattes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Depends on where my employer sends me · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 142 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Pozzi Please keep in mind that self deprivation is a subjective term that varies from person to person. Sure sone of the stories from FI people are not the strategy that I would take but that’s is their path no mine. The best financial strategy for you is similar to the best exercise plan you can take.....it’s the one you can do consistently. If saving 50% of what you make does not fit in your strategy then find strategy that requires that you save less. I’m sure you’re aware that saving less will mean being able to invest less and hitting the FI mark in a greater amount of time but if you’re ok with it, all the better.

  • New to Real Estate · Coldwater, OH · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 61 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Did you sell all 350 homes at once for that 7 figure buyout? just curious because that does not make sense as 9,999,999.99(max for 7 figs)/350 = $28,571. I know your homes were worth more than that apiece :)

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Reducing my expenses and investing my money was the biggest lifestyle turning points in my life and I would never look back.  And ego is expensive.  So much can be saved when you strip it away.

  • Member since 2019 · 114 posts · 111 votes
    7y

    To put it in perspective, I live in Ohio. You can typically get a house for $70,000, and a halfway decent one at that. That comes to around $450/month with a 30-year mortgage.

    Working at $15/hour, 40 hours per week, you will make about $2100 after taxes per month. Including ALL expenses (groceries, car gas, electricity, internet, gas, etc...), you can expect to spend about $750-800/month if you're a normal person. That means you will save about $1350/month which is $16,200/year. This can be a 20% down payment on an $80,000 duplex around here (typical price) which you can use as an investment property.

    It's clearly about how much you spend, because you don't need to make that much money to buy properties.

  • Real Estate Coach · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 341 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Pozzi I like the thought of your post and the conversation it sparked. It’s very very easy for a lot of people to use the classic argument about your $5 latte and similar items that you may or may not enjoy. Thats all well and good and can add up, but the biggest thing I’ve found is just being aware. I put everything on a credit card that i pay off in full every month (get out from under that debt ASAP), but more than that I’ve started spending more time paying attention to what comes out each month. When I suddenly analyzed my spending and realized how much money I was spending lazily eating out, it was very eye opening.

    Totally agree with you about your things like the symphony, though that’s not my personal flavor. But be aware, cut back and save where you can, but still enjoy your life. You only get one

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    There are lot's of great and interesting points of view.
    For me it is a balance of saving and spending or better said reinvesting the money I do earn.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Ryan Pozzi That’s exactly it! I’m a new investor myself so I struggle with these same questions, but what I’ve learned is everyone’s journey is different. Some come into this with less leverage, or better - it’s definitely about life style prioritization and what your goals are. If you want to be aggressive, then it may take living below your means but it’s a “sacrifice” for now, to enjoy your money later. Again, some of us work a 40hours + a week job and has money invested into our 401k for retirement, but some of us do this to have that retirement money because they’re doing this full time and have not invested into a 401k. Big take away, is that everyone’s journey is different so taking a look at where you see you and your wife in the next 5-10 years will be is important :)

  • Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 104 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    Save and live below your means and what you can afford to lose..invest and take a chance. Take care of your health and your relationships as much as possible because if you have 10 million net worth and for example you become diabetic because of your life choice, you are basically poorer. Lot of people would be happier being broke than diabetic ...

    Make a movement around this concept and it becomes FIRE...start a successful financial show/training   around this concept and you get a Dave Ramsey show..write a successful blog around this and you get Mr Money Mustache. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.