Renting out room by room

7 Replies

I want purchase a property in a college town close to campus and rent it out. I am wondering what would be a better option. Renting out the whole place as one price or doing it room by room?

Hi Kaden,

I think if it's a college town and if you don't mind doing the extra work by finding more individual tenants the room rental might be better. It has to be a higher ROI for that extra work you will need to put in. I like the idea.

Yes. I agree. College students are usually interested to just rent a single room. I'd put a house manual together with some house rules for everyone to agree to. That has worked for me. 

@Kaden M Jackson rent it by the room. all i do is rent by the room. i have college students and regular people in my rentals. the income generated is well worth any extra work that comes about. i love this strategy. i am happy to help you in any way that i can.

@Kaden M Jackson

You make more doing that (usually at least), but your management time and expenses will be higher. Do your research and talk to others with experience to determine if it will suit you.

I'm actually planning to enter this market soon myself.

I'm considering the same strategy. How do you account for utilities every month? Are they included in the rent? 

Originally posted by @Ryan Deasy :

@Kaden M Jackson rent it by the room. all i do is rent by the room. i have college students and regular people in my rentals. the income generated is well worth any extra work that comes about. i love this strategy. i am happy to help you in any way that i can.