Type A personality required?

11 Replies

So I dont mean the title literally. But just wondering how those of you that are successful at this have overcome your fears.

I read a lot and listen to podcasts and just about every success story has so component of networking involved in their success.

I'm the guy that sits in the corner and waits for someone to talk to me. Obviously this way of thinking will not get me far in this business.

I have been able to get 5 SFR but my goal is to be able cover my daytime job salary in the next 5 years and prolly need 5 more at least. So I know I need to loosen up and get to know more people.

There's no question that RE is easier if you are a people person, because this is a people business. There's no getting around having to deal with tenants, contractors, property managers, lenders, real estate agents, wholesalers, city officials, partners, and others. That's infinitely more difficult if you are an extreme introvert.

I would suggest getting involved in something outside of real estate that really forces you out of your comfort zone. Exposure reduces anxiety and nervousness. Toastmasters is an excellent organization that has helped many people with your type of issue. 

Hey @Michael Dorey ,

Everyone has fears and struggles, but not everyone is already half way to their financial freedom despite those fears! What I mean is that you already have 5 SFH under your belt. How long did it take you to get those 5 SFH? You only need five more! You are half way to your goal already.

You must have identified a part of the process that you do enjoy, for example, running the numbers on a deal. There is someone who hates doing that. Heck there might even be someone who reads this post and reaches out to you!

You are crushing it keep it up!

-Hollis

@JD Martin

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definately check it out. I've been looking into local real estate groups as well. Closest one is about 45 minutes away but I'm gonna make a plan to go next time they have a meeting. Maybe drag the wife with me. Lol.

@Michael Dorey I was like you and sometimes Im still the person that just wants someone to come to me 1st. One of the things that has really helped me has been to bring a friend or my husband along, it helps boost my confidence because I have someone to catch me in case the conversation becomes awkward. This isnt always possible but ease yourself into it, people are way more accepting and easy to talk to than my mind sometimes tells me.

@Hollis Whitehead

Appreciate the words of encouragement. Started out about 2007 but we all know what happened around that time. And on top of it went through a divorce around the same time.

Had 2 homes from that time.

Took me quite a while to recover from all that so started again last year and have been lucky enough to have 3 homes I've purchased in the last 14 months. These have come about from family and friends who knew I was looking to invest.

But I know now it's time to branch out and meet new people if I want to grow beyond just a hobby investor

@Michael Dorey . I get it. I’m naturally introverted too. Personally I just throw myself into the situation and make it happen. I did it some today, when I just stopped and talked to a guy who was doing some yard work.

It’s not easy talk to strangers but typically, at least around here, people are usually very friendly

Originally posted by @Michael Dorey :

@Hollis Whitehead

Appreciate the words of encouragement. Started out about 2007 but we all know what happened around that time. And on top of it went through a divorce around the same time.

Had 2 homes from that time.

Took me quite a while to recover from all that so started again last year and have been lucky enough to have 3 homes I've purchased in the last 14 months. These have come about from family and friends who knew I was looking to invest.

But I know now it's time to branch out and meet new people if I want to grow beyond just a hobby investor

You put on a mask and play a role. Add to this a certain willingness to ask yourself, "Oh yeah? Who died and made these people so f***ing special?"

It's worked for me since childhood. But I am constantly amazed at the lengths people will go through not to risk any form of embarrassment, as if they're not going to be putrefied body ash and worm s**t just like the rest of us when it's all over.

@Michael Dorey

Hi, now you met me and a bunch of others on BP! That was easy.

What I think matters is how you utilize the people you meet. Plus that Type A and B stuff is for the birds. (Warning: Millennial advice) “Go do you bro and don’t worry about it”