German E Franco
  • Baldwin, NY
Votes |
How do I bring value to a new investor?

German E Franco
  • Baldwin, NY
Posted Aug 28 2019, 03:24

Hi

I’m a newbie to the Real Estate Investing world! My Dad is a contractor and one of his biggest clients is a really successful investor. He does fix and flips and also does buy and holds.

As a newbie, how does someone like me bring value to him? As I’m reading “How to Invest in Real Estate” by Josh and Brandon (amazing book) they talk about working for free for an investor.

From experience what are some things that investor need help with on a daily basis that someone new like me could help out with for free?!?

Or any other suggestions?

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Aug 28 2019, 04:08

@German E Franco

Find the pain point for the successful investor and help eliminate it. Everybody has something they hate doing.

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Tope
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Katy, TX
Replied Aug 28 2019, 04:16

@German E Franco you're asking the right questions but not towards the right person. 

Have you asked the investor what you can do to help? He/she will tell you how or if you can help. (This is how I started with my mentor)

Only other suggestion, if they say no thanks then either keep asking or find another successful investor that's doing what you want to do and ask them. 

Emerson Property Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
German E Franco
  • Baldwin, NY
Votes |
  • Baldwin, NY
Replied Aug 28 2019, 04:55

@Cameron Tope This is great thank you!

User Stats

Votes
German E Franco
  • Baldwin, NY
Votes |
  • Baldwin, NY
Replied Aug 28 2019, 04:55

@Kris H. Great point! Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Luthi
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Edina, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Edina, MN
Replied Sep 4 2019, 07:08

Agreed with all these so start there but I would also say finding off market or pre-market listings is always a way to become relevant. So doing phone calls to lists of rental property owners to ask if they'd be interested in selling and/or mailers to absentee owners, etc. also, buy a duplex and live in one half, FHA loans allow for 3.5% down. Get your investing career started ASAP so you can have first hand experience.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Luthi
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Edina, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Edina, MN
Replied Sep 4 2019, 07:08

Agreed with all these so start there but I would also say finding off market or pre-market listings is always a way to become relevant. So doing phone calls to lists of rental property owners to ask if they'd be interested in selling and/or mailers to absentee owners, etc. also, buy a duplex and live in one half, FHA loans allow for 3.5% down. Get your investing career started ASAP so you can have first hand experience.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jesse Rivera
  • Lender
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Sep 4 2019, 07:42
Originally posted by @Cameron Tope:

@German E Franco you're asking the right questions but not towards the right person. 

Have you asked the investor what you can do to help? He/she will tell you how or if you can help. (This is how I started with my mentor)

Only other suggestion, if they say no thanks then either keep asking or find another successful investor that's doing what you want to do and ask them. 

Agreed. Be persistent. Call or text him every couple weeks - like clockwork. He'll see that you're serious and at some point need help with something.