Originally posted by @Quentin Mitchell:
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
@Quentin Mitchell
He means Clayton Morris. Google him.
Lol, that's very funny I am talking about people doing the leg work themselves not entrusting someone to do it for you.
Quentin, I'm a landlord with urban C-class SFR properties, some definitely shading into D-class territory but not quite there. If you're going to try to make a buck in this property class, it's best to forget larger-scale idealism and turning whole hoods around and focus on making small, incremental change, sometimes enthusiastically supported by the local government and police, sometimes not. That aspect of this business is a lot less like being a motivational speaker and a lot more like being a teacher in the trenches, doing your best to make a difference, usually failing.
I'm not sure what you mean by "doing the leg work." If it involves carrying out the hands-off buy-and-hold investing model largely espoused by this website, where you but a bunch of leveraged properites, hire a property manager to take your worries away, and slowly watch the returns accrue, well, that's the dream Clayton Morris sold and people with even minimal experience in C and D property classes understand it tends not to work so well down in the lower end of the rental spectrum.
If you're talking about being the kind of landlord I am, well, you're going to be fixing a lot of stuff yourself, waiting for a lot of people to show up who don't, dealing personally with tenants who have real problems, and most definitely not living any sort of aspirational life most people would want.
To just give you a taste of this life, right now, a local buddy of mine who is also in the business is in the hospital. I am managing his six properties. My friend is in there because they just chopped half his lung out. This is his second bout with lung cancer, and we're waiting on news whether it metastasized before they could cut it out.
Why'd he get this relapse? He smoked before his first operation twenty-five years ago, but he quit way back then. Maybe it had to do with all the environmental stress he's gone through over the years renovating, all the lead paint, asbestos, caustic dust, solvents, etc. He was never really good about PPE, he's a bit deaf, too, from running all his power tools in small enclosed areas. Maybe if I wear my respirator and protect my mucus membranes I won't end up like him.
I'm sure people are reading this with a little smug smile, certain that I'm exaggerating. It doesn't have to be all on the landlord, all the time..There are ways to minimize your involvement. I should be working more ON my business, not IN my business. All I would need a bit of creativity, a bit of openness to change. Then I'd really get things done and lead my best life.
If any of this is in your head now as you think about making it in this property classes, Quentin, no worries. The ghetto will beat your illusions out of you.
By doing the leg work I mean you acquire the properties, find the tenants, and either DIY the project or oversee it and do the heavy mechanical items that could come back to bit you in the a** first to miniize expensive expenses. Most importantly screen the hell out of who you rent it to, there are good tenants in this class in terms of low drama and will take care of your property, only differnce between them and a higher class tenant is their income. There are good tenants in any class well (maybe not F) you just got to find them.
As far as the ghetto illusions, Jim I am already investing in this class of properties and so far I have not had any bad experiences have there been mistakes of course but the main things I do is screen people obsessively and look for good blocks in these areas. I have done more than 2 so not a lucky bounce twice lol. I do understand though that isn't for everyone but you can make a business out of it if you have the skills, gule, and attitude to deal with that asset class.