Where to start? Seems impossible to break in to this

Where to start? Seems impossible to break in to this

Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes

It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

What’s the best way to become financially independent?

7Reply
221 views

Most Popular Reply

Anna CatronPro Member
Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 87 votes
6y

As far as I can tell, the answer is OVERTIME.  To get ahead, we're going to have to work overtime and give up sleep, time with family, alcohol etc.  But it is worth it.  I fill my head with stories about people who put in the time and made it big.  I just listened to THE WEALTH CHOICE. Made me feel like a spoiled brat and helped me get up earlier in the AM to get s%&$ done!  Essentially, all the podcasts tell us to be Buddhist.  "Life is suffering, it has a purpose, learn to deal with it, it will be worth it".

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed you don't have time and money to do all of that. Rehabbing takes a lot of time and money. You should consider buying a turn-key property from a tired landlord. Ask for seller financing, otherwise seek traditional lending. It's the cheapest way to borrow money.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Dooley thanks. You’re right.

    So do you get linked up with MLS with properties that may be turnkey? How do you get leads on those?

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    An inexpensive way is to search your local tax records for people with multiple properties. Get in contact with them and try to work out a deal as well as try to learn from them. 

  • New to Real Estate · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    Hey @Anthony Dooley, I am also new to REI. Working on building an effective "funnel" for leads. You mentioned searching local tax records, how exactly do you go about doing this? And how do you get in contact with these people after finding them?

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Josh Rodriguez most cities, town, and municipalities have online access to search property tax records. Your tax assessor/collector website should have a link. The tax records have the mailing address of the owner. Direct mail to them, especially if they live out of town or out of state. You can also use whitepages.com to search them and get a phone number. This is the most inexpensive way. Others will purchase lists online for a few hundred dollars from companies like List Source.

  • New to Real Estate · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Dooley Thank you, this info is very helpful

  • Ronan DonnellyPro Member
    Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2012 · 332 posts · 385 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed, it is a competitive market and as a part time investor you will be competing with full time investors who specialize in sourcing deals. Take some time to figure out whether you want to compete at this level, with a full time job and a kid.

    A better option might be to partner with the full time professional where you can help bring funds or to leverage your W2 job to get credit. If you are looking for something entirely passive, but with all the benefits of physical real estate ownership (depreciation, LT cap gains, debt pay down, value-add equity creation, etc) but run by a professional team you might consider investing with a syndicate. This approach worked well for me and allowed my to scale significantly with the limited time I had. Good luck!

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Thank you (and everyone) for being so helpful @Ronan Donnelly

    few very newbie questions:

    1) buy and hold: is this something that is sought after for wealth building?  Obviously cash flow and occupancy is a focus.  But if I bought and held properties, isn’t that a path to wealth?  (I see a lot of people buying and selling here)

    2) what is a syndicate and how to you get in contact?


  • Real Estate Agent · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 73 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Adams generally a syndicate is when you pool money with other investors to get into larger deals than what you could afford on your own. I’ve seen the word thrown around with a few other ways but that’s my interpretation (I’m new as well). Generally to find these people your best bet is to attend local investor meet ups, most towns have them now. If you’re looking to buy, also consider working with an agent. They’ll help find the properties for you and you don’t pay for agent the seller does.

    Hope this helps!!

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

    What’s the best way to become financially independent?

    Focus on growing your w2 income.  Real estate is tough to get into if you have neither time or money. Also as has been stated rehabbing may not be the way to go for you.  You may want to look into buy and hold and look for properties that don't need a ton of work.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

    What’s the best way to become financially independent?

     Who says you need to buy a building that needs to be renovated?

  • Anna CatronPro Member
    Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 87 votes
    6y

    As far as I can tell, the answer is OVERTIME.  To get ahead, we're going to have to work overtime and give up sleep, time with family, alcohol etc.  But it is worth it.  I fill my head with stories about people who put in the time and made it big.  I just listened to THE WEALTH CHOICE. Made me feel like a spoiled brat and helped me get up earlier in the AM to get s%&$ done!  Essentially, all the podcasts tell us to be Buddhist.  "Life is suffering, it has a purpose, learn to deal with it, it will be worth it".

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    The Wealth Choice is the podcast name?  @Anna Catron

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Jeff Adams

    Start by reading rich dad poor dad

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Thanks 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

    What’s the best way to become financially independent?

    I like this post, and I don't like many posts. I appreciate you cutting to the chase. I will do in kind.

    The short answer is - someone else's money.

    The real answer, though, is that in order to attract said money to do these deals you have to have an uncommon amount of knowledge, and this takes time.

    There's just no way around it. Good luck!

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Ben Leybovich thanks brother!

    I appreciate you liking it.   I get straight to the point. 

    I have a lot to learn.  Period.   

    Get some. 

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @James Wise you’re right man.  I just kinda typed a post with what came to my mind a that time. 

    Now I'm thinking about turnkey and furthermore, whether I want to buy a townhouse down the block from me, or look at a multi unit. Without any experience, I don't know what the best ROI is. So I'm going to have to learn here from all you fine people.

  • Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 27 votes
    6y

    Safer than syndicates( which will need a lot  more work to not lose your money), one other option, which is completely passive, is REITS,  e.g. https://investor.vanguard.com/...

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Adams

    Buying and selling can get you capital faster but takes more work. It is more of a job because as soon as you stop doing the deals your income stops.

    Buy and hold is a longer term investing strategy that allows you to build equity as well as residual cash flow.

    A lot of people try to utilize the former to achieve the latter.

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Robert Schimming.  I used to live in SC.  Are you doing deals out there?   Man must be crazy 

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Annu Zer looks like a correction is due ?   I hate buying at ATHs

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Adams

    I used to live out there and operated a retail franchise. But was spinning my wheels. So I did some long distance investing in rental properties in St Joseph, MO two years ago.

    Long story short, I still have the store in S.C. But moved to MO and am up to 27 units so far. This is with $8,500 personal investment, all of which I’ve gotten back through cash flow.

    The biggest thing for me was knowing my numbers and finding investors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hastings, NE · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

    What’s the best way to become financially independent?

    first time homebuyer. you can get a property with no money thanks to a second loan for the down payment and closing costs.

  • Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Josh Rodriguez Depends on your City and State. Just type it in the search bar, BP is a wealth of knowledge.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.