Where to start? Seems impossible to break in to this

76 Replies

It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

What’s the best way to become financially independent?

@Jeff Adams you don't have time and money to do all of that. Rehabbing takes a lot of time and money. You should consider buying a turn-key property from a tired landlord. Ask for seller financing, otherwise seek traditional lending. It's the cheapest way to borrow money.

Hey @Anthony Dooley , I am also new to REI. Working on building an effective "funnel" for leads. You mentioned searching local tax records, how exactly do you go about doing this? And how do you get in contact with these people after finding them?

@Josh Rodriguez most cities, town, and municipalities have online access to search property tax records. Your tax assessor/collector website should have a link. The tax records have the mailing address of the owner. Direct mail to them, especially if they live out of town or out of state. You can also use whitepages.com to search them and get a phone number. This is the most inexpensive way. Others will purchase lists online for a few hundred dollars from companies like List Source.

@Jeff Adams , it is a competitive market and as a part time investor you will be competing with full time investors who specialize in sourcing deals. Take some time to figure out whether you want to compete at this level, with a full time job and a kid.

A better option might be to partner with the full time professional where you can help bring funds or to leverage your W2 job to get credit. If you are looking for something entirely passive, but with all the benefits of physical real estate ownership (depreciation, LT cap gains, debt pay down, value-add equity creation, etc) but run by a professional team you might consider investing with a syndicate. This approach worked well for me and allowed my to scale significantly with the limited time I had. Good luck!

Thank you (and everyone) for being so helpful @Ronan Donnelly

few very newbie questions:

1) buy and hold: is this something that is sought after for wealth building?  Obviously cash flow and occupancy is a focus.  But if I bought and held properties, isn’t that a path to wealth?  (I see a lot of people buying and selling here)

2) what is a syndicate and how to you get in contact?

@Jeff Adams generally a syndicate is when you pool money with other investors to get into larger deals than what you could afford on your own. I’ve seen the word thrown around with a few other ways but that’s my interpretation (I’m new as well). Generally to find these people your best bet is to attend local investor meet ups, most towns have them now. If you’re looking to buy, also consider working with an agent. They’ll help find the properties for you and you don’t pay for agent the seller does.

Hope this helps!!

Originally posted by @Jeff Adams :

It seems like this is an impossible task with both limited funds and time. I work full time and with a kid in day care, how do you have the time and money to buy, rehab, and rent a multi family building?

Focus on growing your w2 income.  Real estate is tough to get into if you have neither time or money. Also as has been stated rehabbing may not be the way to go for you.  You may want to look into buy and hold and look for properties that don't need a ton of work.

Who says you need to buy a building that needs to be renovated?

As far as I can tell, the answer is OVERTIME.  To get ahead, we're going to have to work overtime and give up sleep, time with family, alcohol etc.  But it is worth it.  I fill my head with stories about people who put in the time and made it big.  I just listened to THE WEALTH CHOICE. Made me feel like a spoiled brat and helped me get up earlier in the AM to get s%&$ done!  Essentially, all the podcasts tell us to be Buddhist.  "Life is suffering, it has a purpose, learn to deal with it, it will be worth it".

I like this post, and I don't like many posts. I appreciate you cutting to the chase. I will do in kind.

The short answer is - someone else's money.

The real answer, though, is that in order to attract said money to do these deals you have to have an uncommon amount of knowledge, and this takes time.

There's just no way around it. Good luck!

@James Wise you’re right man.  I just kinda typed a post with what came to my mind a that time. 

Now I'm thinking about turnkey and furthermore, whether I want to buy a townhouse down the block from me, or look at a multi unit. Without any experience, I don't know what the best ROI is. So I'm going to have to learn here from all you fine people.

@Jeff Adams

Buying and selling can get you capital faster but takes more work. It is more of a job because as soon as you stop doing the deals your income stops.

Buy and hold is a longer term investing strategy that allows you to build equity as well as residual cash flow.

A lot of people try to utilize the former to achieve the latter.

@Jeff Adams

I used to live out there and operated a retail franchise. But was spinning my wheels. So I did some long distance investing in rental properties in St Joseph, MO two years ago.

Long story short, I still have the store in S.C. But moved to MO and am up to 27 units so far. This is with $8,500 personal investment, all of which I’ve gotten back through cash flow.

The biggest thing for me was knowing my numbers and finding investors.

first time homebuyer. you can get a property with no money thanks to a second loan for the down payment and closing costs.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here