Votes |
Looking for advice on saving for first home purchase

Adam Sherwood
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dallas
Posted Sep 25 2021, 13:29

Hello all,

A little background, I have recently graduated college (1 year ago) and have been working as a mechanical engineer now for about 8.5 months. I am currently living in Texas. This is temporary and it is per-diem life (no rent or car payments) and the job will be finishing up in February to April. Our next job is going to be in Phoenix Arizona and will last between 3-5 years. This will also be per-diem life but If I get my own place there I will also get housing per diem not just food like I am now (living with boss currently). 

So my question is, I have about 100k in school loans, should I save every dollar I can to put towards down payment and renovations (just do minimum payments for loan) for when I get to Arizona and buy house...or should I look into what the market is, how much the house will be, and kind of budget a way of saving just enough to have x$ for renovations and nonpayment and try to cut down on my loans as much as possible. 

My thoughts on this are leaning towards save as much and continue with minimum payment, it is not going to be long enough to make a huge dent in my loans. But I am open to other viewpoints on this. 

Also if anyone is from the Arizona area please feel free connect with me. I would like to learn as much as possible about the area!!

Thank you!

Loading replies...