What should I be reading ? ( Recommend your top REI book )

49 Replies

So as you all know from my introduction post, I am a brand new to REI.

I have been working to increase my knowledge base by reading everything I can get my hands on or that is recommended to me. I literally am on a first name basis with my Amazon driver. LOL

So here is just a small sample of what I have been reading lately. But I would love to hear recommendations from the group as to what REI books I should be reading.

Thanks in advance!

Nice work doing all that reading. Next step is to start evaluating deals. My favorite book is The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller. This book will help you with your evaluations. 

Originally posted by @Benjamin Aaker :

Nice work doing all that reading. Next step is to start evaluating deals. My favorite book is The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller. This book will help you with your evaluations. 

Thanks! I am going to see if I have that one, if not I'm definitely grabbing it. 

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

Personally, I liked just watching youtube videos and listening to podcasts. Being able to watch them go over examples of deals and see the theory or idea in practice was more beneficial for me.

i would start with Guide to Investing learn the importance of cashflow, a house is not asset etc

To be honest set the target of say ten-fifty pages pages a day of a real estate investing books from an author with a track record.Then you'll go through alot of good material

No one person knows everything so you'll pick something here...then another there etc till you get the picture that works for you

@Jason Tassinari

If you want to get into apartments, read “The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings” by Steve Berges. It helped me immensely.

Hi @Jason Tassinari

If you have not, great books to read are:

• Tax Free Wealth

• Set For Life

• Rental Property Investing

• The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

• The REAL Book of Real Estate

• So Good They Can’t Ignore You

Goodluck!

Originally posted by @Joe Vairo :

Personally, I liked just watching youtube videos and listening to podcasts. Being able to watch them go over examples of deals and see the theory or idea in practice was more beneficial for me.

Joe, Thanks. I too listen to a few good podcast, but haven't really watched a lot of YouTube videos. So who are you watching these days that you are finding a good amount of value from? 

Originally posted by @Wale Lawal :

Hi @Jason Tassinari, 

If you have not, great books to read are:

• Tax Free Wealth

• Set For Life

• Rental Property Investing

• The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

• The REAL Book of Real Estate

• So Good They Can’t Ignore You

Goodluck!

Outstanding! Their are a few books I haven't heard of in your list. So that you for sharing, its truly appreciated. 

@Jason Tassinari Not necessarily one person, I've been looking up different ideas and strategies that I hear about from podcasts then try to find different videos to get a better understanding of them and dive deeper. Oddly enough there's been some good content on tiktok with quick videos on deal analysis and things to look for. Some of the YouTube videos have so much fluff.

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

@Jason Tassinari check out The House Hacking Strategy by Craig Curelop, Set for Life by Scott trench. I also like to read books on psychology, personal development, and books on business. A lot of principles in those genres will relate to real estate; much of real estate is about business and relationships. Some personal favorites: Start with Why by Simon Sinek, Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, Talking to Strangers by Malcom Gladwell. Good luck!

Originally posted by @Earl Borillo :

Rich Dad Poor Dad is mostly everyone's starting book. As for me, I started through Cashflow Quadrant and now looking for Youtube videos about my desired niche which is rental property.

Earl, I couldn't agree more. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" was the first book recommended to me and it was certainly a lightbulb read. I too then read the Cashflow Quadrant as a follow up. I now have most of his "Rich Dad" collection now. But yeah great place to start. 

Looks like you have a couple good mindset books but a couple 'riches' fluffers.  

The old school yellow landlording book is awesome for when you get there.

I'd diversify into some audio books.  Reading and watching is great,  but free audibooks from the library will allow you to do other things while learning.   

Originally posted by @Grace Wang :

@Jason Tassinari check out The House Hacking Strategy by Craig Curelop, Set for Life by Scott trench. I also like to read books on psychology, personal development, and books on business. A lot of principles in those genres will relate to real estate; much of real estate is about business and relationships. Some personal favorites: Start with Why by Simon Sinek, Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, Talking to Strangers by Malcom Gladwell. Good luck!

Grace, thanks for the referrals. I have added them to my cart. Thanks again.

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :

I'd diversify into some audio books.  Reading and watching is great,  but free audibooks from the library will allow you to do other things while learning.   

I totally agree. Right now my audio time is dedicated to hearing all of the BP podcast. Once I'm done with that I will be replacing it with other audio books and podcast. I usually have the audio stuff playing while on my drives. If you add up how much time we all spend in our cars it is significant. I try to utilize that time to learn something vs just mindlessly listening to music. I want to try to make the most of that static time. 

Originally posted by @Jason Tassinari :
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

I totally agree. Right now my audio time is dedicated to hearing all of the BP podcast. Once I'm done with that I will be replacing it with other audio books and podcast. I usually have the audio stuff playing while on my drives. If you add up how much time we all spend in our cars it is significant. I try to utilize that time to learn something vs just mindlessly listening to music. I want to try to make the most of that static time. 

Definitely agree on making the best use of your audio drive time.

As a long time podcast and book listener, I have podcast fatigue.  Only so many how you doin, your beards longer, what you do this weekend, how did you get started one can handle. 

Hopefully your device has a skip ahead 6-12 minute feature to avoid burn out. 

Originally posted by @Jason Tassinari :

Earl, I couldn't agree more. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" was the first book recommended to me and it was certainly a lightbulb read. I too then read the Cashflow Quadrant as a follow up. I now have most of his "Rich Dad" collection now. But yeah great place to start. 

Kinda weird seeing some hate on Kiyosaki's books or maybe because I just read 2 of his books so I don't know the progression but for me RDPD and Cashflow Quadrant is enough to get your lightbulb light up you're right, then venture on to other books.

I love to read as well and I've encountered analysis paralysis before so I know how not to get to that point but if you ever get to that point my advice is just to take action and have the mindset of "I learn, not fail" and that's really what made me power through all those things in my head.

Good luck on your real estate journey my friend. :) 

Originally posted by @Earl Borillo :
Originally posted by @Jason Tassinari:

Kinda weird seeing some hate on Kiyosaki's books or maybe because I just read 2 of his books so I don't know the progression but for me RDPD and Cashflow Quadrant is enough to get your lightbulb light up you're right, then venture on to other books.

I love to read as well and I've encountered analysis paralysis before so I know how not to get to that point but if you ever get to that point my advice is just to take action and have the mindset of "I learn, not fail" and that's really what made me power through all those things in my head.

Good luck on your real estate journey my friend. :) 

Earl, I think that in my opinion the RDPD series started off great. The first few books were really insightfully. As you mentioned it certainly got the light bulb to go off and start me thinking differently about assets and liabilities. But then for me, as I continued to read on in the series it got a little too much for me. They started recommending board games and all of this other weird stuff. It just sort of felt like at that point, I had gotten the bulk of the valuable information they had to offer in their first few books and the rest of their offerings just seemed like a money grab to me. So at that point, I pivoted in a different reading direction. 

One of my favorite RE books (that wasn't already in your list) that was digestible and informative:

The House Hacking Strategy: How to Use Your Home to Achieve Financial Freedom -- Craig Curelop