What should I be reading ? ( Recommend your top REI book )

49 Replies

@Jason Tassinari I recommend One Rental at a Time by Michael Zuber. He breaks things down in easy to learn steps and he also has a YouTube channel for people to follow. Good luck!!

Originally posted by @Wesley B Williams:

@Jason Tassinari one of my favs is the book on finding and finding great deals by @Anson Young, recommend it to lots of people starting out if you can find a great deal it gives you a lot of forgiveness for the mistakes you're going to make! Has personally helped me find almost all of my full BRRRR's!

Thanks for the kind words, Wesley!!

My favorite book is Millionaire real estate Investor is my favorite which I see is on your stack.  I also liked Retie Early by @Chad Carson not only was he a stud linebacker he knows his crap.
While the millionaire real estate investor breaks down the grind of real estate investing Mr Carson helps you come up with a plan to become financially free. 

The big thing big thing you have to do is buying a deal and managing it the rest is magic my friend!

@Jason Tassinari what kind of investing do you want to do? I’d read The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and then start reading books in the area that you want to start in.

A common path is to start wholesaling, then do flipping, then buying rentals. If you’re going to be a wholesaler then you need to learn how both flippers and landlords evaluate deals so you can learn how to make offers that are appealing to them.

I’d get The Book on Flipping Houses and The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs by J Scott for flipping.

If you haven't already you need to find a your local REIA or other networking group and start going to those.

Beware of reading too much though. You just need the basics and then start evaluating deals. You will learn WAY more doing your fist deal than you will reading a lot of books.

Nothing, learn from people doing deals vs reading books.  I see people spend 1ks and 1ks and 1ks on books and seminars and never do a dam thing but build their " power team " .   I have never been to a guru seminar or read any books on RE, and I have done it all. More then 500 deals in the Cleveland markets,,,,,,,,,, I know my response my have taken you back a bit but I tell people what they need to hear vs want,,,,, Learn and do deals,

Good luck to you 

Originally posted by @Doug Lovett:

@Jason Tassinari what kind of investing do you want to do? I’d read The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and then start reading books in the area that you want to start in.

A common path is to start wholesaling, then do flipping, then buying rentals. If you’re going to be a wholesaler then you need to learn how both flippers and landlords evaluate deals so you can learn how to make offers that are appealing to them.

I’d get The Book on Flipping Houses and The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs by J Scott for flipping.

If you haven't already you need to find a your local REIA or other networking group and start going to those.

Beware of reading too much though. You just need the basics and then start evaluating deals. You will learn WAY more doing your fist deal than you will reading a lot of books.

Never stop reading, and learning. The day you stop, is the day the rest of us pass you by. One of the greatest requirements for REI is to be able to think outside the box...you know that box everyone else will say you're thinking outside of. Just don't act outside of it. That box represents your knowledge, and it's the only thing in life that has no limits.

Originally posted by @Bob Stevens:

Nothing, learn from people doing deals vs reading books.  I see people spend 1ks and 1ks and 1ks on books and seminars and never do a dam thing but build their " power team " .   I have never been to a guru seminar or read any books on RE, and I have done it all. More then 500 deals in the Cleveland markets,,,,,,,,,, I know my response my have taken you back a bit but I tell people what they need to hear vs want,,,,, Learn and do deals,

Good luck to you 

You haven't done it all...you did 500 deals.  I'm not minimizing that accomplishment at all.  Just saying that you don't know what you don't know.  Heck, I don't know what I don't know, but I don't feel as though reading, guru seminars, etc...are poor ways of learning.

I pose a question here:  How much money can be wasted on books and seminars vs. just doing and making mistakes...some that have a domino and long term loss attached to them?

I have found that you do learn by your own mistakes, but it's cheaper to learn bu someone else's.

Originally posted by @Aaron Rouser:

One of my favorite RE books (that wasn't already in your list) that was digestible and informative:

The House Hacking Strategy: How to Use Your Home to Achieve Financial Freedom -- Craig Curelop

Yes Sir, I didnt have that one, but added it to my Amazon cart. Looking forward to reading it as that is one way I'm considering getting started.  

Funny you should mention that , that is actually my current read.   Thanks. 

Originally posted by @Craig Anderson:

Jason, the books that you have are great for the mindset of investing. However, real estate or any investing can take you into so many directions. So, I believe in focusing on one area and being great in that area. And, the book that helped me get focused was "How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginners Guide to Getting Started" By Brandon Turner and Josh Dorkin.  Great read, and I tell everyone that this should be one of the first books to read as a real estate investor.  Then, like Grace stated, don't forget to read books that are personal help books to keep you balanced.  Good luck!

Good luck to you 

No your response is fine. I agree with you somewhat. But I also feel strongly that it would be foolish on my part to just start making deals for hundreds of thousands of dollars having no clue at all what I'm doing or what anyone in the room is talking about. I feel id be better served to arm myself with the best chance for success by beginning with first educating myself on the basic's of the industry's vocabulary / basic strategy's through reading a few books. I guess everyone has their own way. For me I just feel better studying first to gain a basic knowledge and then seeking to start to make some deals. 

Originally posted by @Doug Lovett:

Doug, Thanks for the reply. I am going to just do a simple buy and hold model with multi family units. I don't think I will do much with wholesaling or flipping, however I want to have a basic working knowledge of the strategy as I am always open to opportunities that may come my way. I have joined a few local groups for REI and am going to start networking there. I also secured a great mentor who has committed to working with me once a week teaching me the ropes. He may consider partnering with me on some beginning deals as well. So that is a HUGE head start as well.

Originally posted by @Eric Bilderback:

My favorite book is Millionaire real estate Investor is my favorite which I see is on your stack.  I also liked Retie Early by @Chad Carson not only was he a stud linebacker he knows his crap.
While the millionaire real estate investor breaks down the grind of real estate investing Mr Carson helps you come up with a plan to become financially free. 

The big thing big thing you have to do is buying a deal and managing it the rest is magic my friend!

Eric, Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am already getting things ready to purchase my first deal soon and also starting to analyze deals in my area. I don't think it will be too long before I pull the trigger on something. But until then I'm trying to catch up to speed with books, pod cast and mentoring sessions to make sure that I have enough of an understanding to be successful in this venture.  I also wanted to thank you for the book recommendation. I didnt have that one on the list, but it is now. Thanks. 

@Jason Tassinari reading on investments is good, but so is talking to those with experience.  In addition to trying to learn as much as possible about real estate I try and find ways to be better at business as a whole.

Really enjoyed the 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss.  Also reading, watching and listening to more from Gary Vaynerchuk.  Working to learn how to be better with business and more efficient with my time.

@Joe Villeneuve  well I have bought dozens from sheriff auctions, tax lies, done dozens of short sales, and more , Really not sure what more I can do to buy / flip a property. I own rentals, own a PM co with more then  500 doors, have more then 30 contractors, admins staff of 8 , so really not sure what more I can do not sure I want to LOL. 

All the best 

I see so many read books and never do a thing. Me I jump in an learn as I go, again its all about numbers

@Joe Villeneuve  well I have bought dozens from sheriff auctions, tax lies, done dozens of short sales, and more , Really not sure what more I can do to buy / flip a property. I own rentals, own a PM co with more then  500 doors, have more then 30 contractors, admins staff of 8 , so really not sure what more I can do not sure I want to LOL. 

All the best 

I see so many read books and never do a thing. Me I jump in an learn as I go, again its all about numbers

Like I said. I'm not diminishing what you "have" done.  All I'm saying is you don't know what you haven't done, so you really can't say you've done it all.

The most important things you learn by just doing is what not to do since that method will generate more mistakes than not.  The things you learn using that method of just doing that are not mistakes, will be limited to what you did.

There are many, many things beyond that...and it's always cheaper to learn by someone else's mistakes.

@Jason Tassinari Did you finish the stack of books you already have? I'd start there and then start taking action and analyzing deals. 

As you gain experience with analyzing, making offers, buying, rehabbing, landlording, etc. you may find other areas you want to dive deeper into. I wouldn't flood yourself with too much information before you take action. 

Originally posted by @Brian Walters:

@Jason Tassinari reading on investments is good, but so is talking to those with experience.  In addition to trying to learn as much as possible about real estate I try and find ways to be better at business as a whole.

Really enjoyed the 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss.  Also reading, watching and listening to more from Gary Vaynerchuk.  Working to learn how to be better with business and more efficient with my time.

Brian, good stuff. I am just now starting to build my network of folks to talk to and learn from. I recently joined a few networking groups. So hopefully that will start to shape up soon. I also use to listen to Gary Vee. Hes got some good stuff. But for me he has just a little to commercial for me. But I loved his "jab -Jab-Hook" theory on advertising. 

@Jason Tassinari its not rocket science, Its all about numbers. In my 1st month  I flipped a contract for 19k, 

all the best 

Bob, that is awesome. Who would love to make a quick 19k to reinvest. I think flipping and wholesaling is it's own art. I don't think I would dive into that with out a strong mentor or a JV with some one who has a great deal of experience in that lane.

Originally posted by @Jon Kelly:

@Jason Tassinari Did you finish the stack of books you already have? I'd start there and then start taking action and analyzing deals. 

As you gain experience with analyzing, making offers, buying, rehabbing, landlording, etc. you may find other areas you want to dive deeper into. I wouldn't flood yourself with too much information before you take action. 

Jon, that's strong advice. I have read most of the stack and always have new books showing up each day. I am addicted to reading lol .. But i couldn't agree more with you when it comes to taking action. I am analyzing deals and currently looking for the right deal. So I think I will be pulling the trigger on my first deal in the next few months. 

Originally posted by @Benjamin Aaker:

Nice work doing all that reading. Next step is to start evaluating deals. My favorite book is The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller. This book will help you with your evaluations. 

Benjamin! I just ordered that one yesterday. We recently went to an REI meeting in our area and met Anthony Lynam. He's a KW realtor who gave a phenomenal presentation and suggested this book. I'm looking forward to this read!

For the individual who posted this question, I have not read all these books, but my husband lets me know which ones are worth reading.  I tend to be the visual/social learner whereas he can zip through a book in 1-2 days.  I like to listen to others' stories (good/bad/ugly) and learn ways to improve whether it's from their mistakes or our own mistakes.  

Other books would include:

Multifamily Investors Who Dominate by Beau Berry

Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss

Best Ever Apartment Syndication by Joe Fairless

The Hands off Investor by Brian Burke