Does my vehicle matter?

Does my vehicle matter?

Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I have just recently passed my real estate exam and I am very excited to start my new career.  I have enough savings to last me >6months and I will continue to work my current job part time as I transition into a career real estate agent.  I understand presentation is very important for this career I am a neat well dressed guy and I am good at communication one thing I would like some input on is does my vehicle really matter? I currently drove a very old beat up work truck I like this truck but I do not want to scare off potential customers who may see it as unprofessional do I need to upgrade to a newer cleaner vehicle to make a good impression for my clients?

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y

Clean it up reasonably well and keep driving it. Get a $1000 Maaco paint job and some junkyard fenders if necessary. Do not buy a new vehicle to impress anyone. Spend a couple of bucks to make what you have appear reasonable and put your money elsewhere. 

Yes, don't show up looking like a bum. You don't have to be GQ but look like someone reasonable to trust with money and assets. But do it cheaply. Not buying a new or another car when yours is fine mechanically.

Post a picture of your truck, both sides and inside.

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 256 posts · 213 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Max Alford:

    I have just recently passed my real estate exam and I am very excited to start my new career.  I have enough savings to last me >6months and I will continue to work my current job part time as I transition into a career real estate agent.  I understand presentation is very important for this career I am a neat well dressed guy and I am good at communication one thing I would like some input on is does my vehicle really matter? I currently drove a very old beat up work truck I like this truck but I do not want to scare off potential customers who may see it as unprofessional do I need to upgrade to a newer cleaner vehicle to make a good impression for my clients?


     I dont think there is a right answer here.

     As long as my realtor have my interest, understands my goals, being investor friendly and have knowledge, I dont care if she/he walks, bikes or drive an old vehicle.

     Someone else will tell you that they care about that. However, a lot of people will agree with me that a lot of agents are driving nice cars, but barely affording the gas for the car.


    Get knowledgeable, learn to communicate and you will do amazing.
    Good luck in the future!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    Clean it up reasonably well and keep driving it. Get a $1000 Maaco paint job and some junkyard fenders if necessary. Do not buy a new vehicle to impress anyone. Spend a couple of bucks to make what you have appear reasonable and put your money elsewhere. 

    Yes, don't show up looking like a bum. You don't have to be GQ but look like someone reasonable to trust with money and assets. But do it cheaply. Not buying a new or another car when yours is fine mechanically.

    Post a picture of your truck, both sides and inside.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    It would not bother me, because I love old trucks. I think you'll turn off half your potential market......just my .02

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    All I have to add is you don't need a shovel to dig a hole. 

    You CAN dig it with your bare hands--but the shovel will make a much more pleasurable experience. 

    I have seen brokers in here say so many agents wash out with low income, and don't even make any income in their first year--so balance that out.

    But I'm not a broker and maybe some brokers could elucidate this better.

    Maybe that is only in some markets I don't know.

    But stands to reason that some people might avoid you because you drive an old beat up truck vs a more mainstream vehicle.

    Will these be potential customers I don't know.

    I am not actually weighing in on this because I am not a broker, and I am far from an average home buyer (who would probably be your customer).

    I'm just applying what seems like common sense, and be sure to consider the REALITIES of the income stream for starter Realtors.

    Maybe you could rent a vehicle for crucial times when you want to make that Great Impression.

    Who would YOU choose to list your home for sale (see pic below):

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I also hate to see anyone go into debt unnecessarily, but there is a saying 'you gotta spend money to make money'. I have opened a dozen businesses in my life and never did it come without cost, sometimes a great cost. A new vehicle with a payment of $400 mo is not all that bad really. IF.....if you are dead serious and will do everything it takes to make it.

    So the question might be: Do you believe in yourself?

  • Member since 2020 · 241 posts · 179 votes
    3y

    Depending on the condition of the truck, it could certainly make a difference. Keep in mind you may do a lot of driving as an agent(especially in a rural area)and if your truck gets 15 mpg versus a 35 mpg car, you might find that the gas saving alone more than make the monthly payments. 

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thanks for the answers

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    Impressions do matter I suppose.

    I always drove my old minivan around tenants on purpose.  Also when I'm viewing an off-market place.  Do not out-class your customers / audience.  

    Personally I'd be thrilled if my agent drove a beater. Post a picture of the truck. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Does not matter. What matters is YOU, how do you conduct yourself and how much value are you adding to your clients. You don't have to put on a fake persona to impress clients 

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    If it gets you from point A to point B, all that matters. Be uniquely you and do such a great job no one cares what you drive. Good luck!

    RentWerx Property Management4.73296 Reviews
  • Aaron BealBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Spokane, WA · Member since 2022 · 28 posts · 22 votes
    3y

    Good job on getting your license! 

    Presentation does matter but not to the point where you should get a new car. Frankly if you have 6 months of reserves you don’t have the means necessary. 

    I would just bust my butt if I were you and think about that down the road when it’s even an option. Clean up the truck and park the good side where the client will see it!  

    You got this!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    It used to be that realtors drove clients around in their vehicles. That's not really a thing anymore in our market so I don't think it makes a lot of difference what vehicle you drive. It would make no difference to me at all but some may be influenced. I wouldn't worry about it.

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Max Alford - like most comments here, it depends on the situation. If you're a young agent, most clients will likely not care. But if you're pulling up with a work truck to the listing appointment of a mansion... impressions matter. 

    Don't sweat these things early on, I've rarely had anyone look at my car let alone know where I've parked when I've shown up for appointments. Does it matter sometimes? Sure, does it matter all the time? No. 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 591 posts · 695 votes
    3y

    @Max Alford I think this is a really interesting question (and more complex than it might seem at first glance).

    A car can say a lot about a person (both good and bad), and there are a whole variety of car cultures that all have different traits.

    Weirdly, a car that's perfect for one realtor might be bad for another realtor, because a single car elicits different reactions in different contexts.

    For instance, if you show up in a Ferrari to show me (an investor) a standard $300k 1500 sq ft 3/2 in a C-class area, I'll think your car is totally out of place, and it will throw up tons of red flags. A Ferrari just doesn't fit that context.  

    On the other hand, if you show up in a Ferrari to show me a $50 mil estate in LA, I probably wouldn't blink an eye (and showing up in anything less could be a turnoff--you can't sell a $50 mil estate while driving a 10 year old Camry!)

    So, the vehicle has to suit the property, and the client--because context matters.

    What type of properties are you dealing with, and what types of clients do you have?  If your clients are workers who all drive beat up old work trucks, then your old truck could be an advantage! (it might help establish trust with your clients, and put them at ease--the trucks are a form of common ground).  But, if your clients are all driving shiny new cars, and they're trying to buy property where all the neighbors drive shiny new cars, then an old work truck might be a disadvantage (e.g.; it could make some clients uneasy, or some clients might view it as a sign that you don't have things together).

    Personally, I like my agent to be driving a vehicle and showing signs of wealth and success that are just one step above my own vehicles, and my own level of wealth. This shows me that my agent and I share common ground, and that my agent is also pretty darn good at their job!

    Good luck out there!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Leo Ray yup, nailed it. Classic dress and office formula: “one step sharper than the client”

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

      You can buy a nice looking USED minivan very Reasonable. They’re pretty good on gas as well.

    I drove a used minivan for years. I’m not Realtor, but I don’t see how a respectable minivan would turn anyone off. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Max Alford:

    I have just recently passed my real estate exam and I am very excited to start my new career.  I have enough savings to last me >6months and I will continue to work my current job part time as I transition into a career real estate agent.  I understand presentation is very important for this career I am a neat well dressed guy and I am good at communication one thing I would like some input on is does my vehicle really matter? I currently drove a very old beat up work truck I like this truck but I do not want to scare off potential customers who may see it as unprofessional do I need to upgrade to a newer cleaner vehicle to make a good impression for my clients?

    Keep your truck. When you need a nice car, rent one for the day.
  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Max Alford- yes ...dont need a fancy rig   but  try to get an vehicle that isnt beat up and that  can  fit 4 people ( family) 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    " My car is in the shop , I borrowed this from a friend "

  • Accountant · Miami, FL · Member since 2020 · 89 posts · 57 votes
    3y

    @Max Alford

    If you’re making enough money to afford a new car, and you really want it, then go for it. If you can’t afford it, then don’t purchase a new car. It’s not worth the financial trouble.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Have the customers pick you up at the office and you are the tour guide if you need to show houses with them in the car.

    Use their gas.

    Rent a car if you have to, borrow a car, partner up with a new agent that has a better car, see if anyone in your office does Turo, Uber.

    Lots of ways to skin that cat.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Paul:

    " My car is in the shop , I borrowed this from a friend "

     
    😂 Better be a fast thinker if you're gonna use this one:

    "My car is in the shop, I borrowed this from a friend"
    "What kind of car do you have?"
    "A Toyota Camry"
    "Me too! What year?"
    "2017 (old enough to look pragmatic, new enough to not be a junker, right?)"
    "Hey, me too! Which engine did you get?"
    "Uhhh..."

    😂




    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Ontario CA · Member since 2015 · 161 posts · 71 votes
    3y

    As long as it is clean and not banged up with dents and missing bumpers, you will be fine. Also, it depends on your price point. Luxury market will be tough, move-up and first-time market will be ok. the reverse is true too, you would not do well showing up at a first-time buyer type of home in a Bentley. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    My daily driver I do showings in all the time. My car has full exhaust/headers its pretty loud and tuned over 500hp now. Doesn't really matter. Clients use you if you are good at runing investment analysis. I pick out good 2-4 units, do the work manually sending out deals and have sold over 40 million of them now.

    The only time I see a car being an issue is if it covered in rust or is a major eye sore, etc. Otherwise does not really matter. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

    My daily driver I do showings in all the time. My car has full exhaust/headers its pretty loud and tuned over 500hp now. Doesn't really matter. Clients use you if you are good at runing investment analysis. I pick out good 2-4 units, do the work manually sending out deals and have sold over 40 million of them now.

    The only time I see a car being an issue is if it covered in rust or is a major eye sore, etc. Otherwise does not really matter. 


    your license plate is crooked that would be a big turn off :)   in my almost 50 years of selling real estate as a broker and investor.. it really depends on who your dealing with..  Average investor looking for rentals  does not matter they could give a rip..  high end clients looking for high end residental home to live in your going to want to have a very presentable car and dress.. I sold land the first 10 years of my career so in those days a toyota 4 runner did the job and boots jeans etc so we could walk said land.. then when I did timber mainly it was F 150 with a quad in the back so we could run the timber sales. you know right tools for the job.  My wife sells 10 to 20 million a year in resi and she always drives a newer benz or now a Tesla but not the real big ones she likes the smaller sedans.. she never ever drives clients in her car has not done that in over a decade.. but she dress's nicely always.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.