One thing I’d add to this is that a license doesn’t just give agents access to deals — it gives them pattern recognition.
Agents see:
• what actually sells vs what sits
• which neighborhoods quietly appreciate
• how pricing moves before the public data catches up
• where distressed or transitional assets appear
Most investors are trying to reverse-engineer those signals from the outside.
Agents are literally watching them happen in real time.
That’s why I’ve always thought the real advantage isn’t the commission credit or even the early deal access — it’s the information asymmetry.
If someone spends a few years producing in a market and pays attention to what they’re seeing, they end up with a pretty powerful map of where opportunity actually exists.
The agents who treat that exposure as market intelligence instead of just transaction volume tend to be the ones who eventually build portfolios.
Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo
Amazing to me how few agents own homes....even a personal home. Not required to sell, and you have to start somewhere, but seems weird to me. They also have the inside scoop to investing and still don't do it.
Amazing to me how few agents own homes....even a personal home. Not required to sell, and you have to start somewhere, but seems weird to me. They also have the inside scoop to investing and still don't do it.
agreed. only 70% of agents do a deal though. However, agents that do own 1-2 investment properties end up staying in the game 5+ years.
Amazing to me how few agents own homes....even a personal home. Not required to sell, and you have to start somewhere, but seems weird to me. They also have the inside scoop to investing and still don't do it.
There are 2 kinds of real estate licensees. The professional “salesperson” who is in real estate sales for a time, then moves to mortgage origination, then to selling life insurance. Then there’s the real estate professional, whose niche is real estate sales. I bet a very high percentage of the latter not only own a home but investment property in addition.
Amazing to me how few agents own homes....even a personal home. Not required to sell, and you have to start somewhere, but seems weird to me. They also have the inside scoop to investing and still don't do it.
There are 2 kinds of real estate licensees. The professional “salesperson” who is in real estate sales for a time, then moves to mortgage origination, then to selling life insurance. Then there’s the real estate professional, whose niche is real estate sales. I bet a very high percentage of the latter not only own a home but investment property in addition.
it's funny you say that because last year, 70% of agents didn't do a deal. Only 4% of agents did 10+ deals. I am curious given that math - what % of agents who do a deal also own investment properties. Fun meta analysis!
Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
6mo
Yep, pretty crazy how many agents are not real estate investors themselves.
Just a quick note about your "Commission stops when you stop working." comment. Not exactly true. I plan to perform the Golden Handoff idea for my sphere when I retire and collect referral fees from an adopting agent for three years following my exit. Any agent can also keep their license active until they die or are no longer capable of renewing it and collect referral fees indefinitely from agents anywhere in the US where they refer leads. (i.e. If my brother plans to move from Hawaii to Boise, I can refer him to an agent in Boise and get a 20-30% referral fee, as long as I retain my license.)
Yep, pretty crazy how many agents are not real estate investors themselves.
Just a quick note about your "Commission stops when you stop working." comment. Not exactly true. I plan to perform the Golden Handoff idea for my sphere when I retire and collect referral fees from an adopting agent for three years following my exit. Any agent can also keep their license active until they die or are no longer capable of renewing it and collect referral fees indefinitely from agents anywhere in the US where they refer leads. (i.e. If my brother plans to move from Hawaii to Boise, I can refer him to an agent in Boise and get a 20-30% referral fee, as long as I retain my license.)
That's a fair point. That referral status is a powerful tool, but it's still semi active work!
One thing I’d add to this is that a license doesn’t just give agents access to deals — it gives them pattern recognition.
Agents see:
• what actually sells vs what sits
• which neighborhoods quietly appreciate
• how pricing moves before the public data catches up
• where distressed or transitional assets appear
Most investors are trying to reverse-engineer those signals from the outside.
Agents are literally watching them happen in real time.
That’s why I’ve always thought the real advantage isn’t the commission credit or even the early deal access — it’s the information asymmetry.
If someone spends a few years producing in a market and pays attention to what they’re seeing, they end up with a pretty powerful map of where opportunity actually exists.
The agents who treat that exposure as market intelligence instead of just transaction volume tend to be the ones who eventually build portfolios.
One thing I’d add to this is that a license doesn’t just give agents access to deals — it gives them pattern recognition.
Agents see:
• what actually sells vs what sits
• which neighborhoods quietly appreciate
• how pricing moves before the public data catches up
• where distressed or transitional assets appear
Most investors are trying to reverse-engineer those signals from the outside.
Agents are literally watching them happen in real time.
That’s why I’ve always thought the real advantage isn’t the commission credit or even the early deal access — it’s the information asymmetry.
If someone spends a few years producing in a market and pays attention to what they’re seeing, they end up with a pretty powerful map of where opportunity actually exists.
The agents who treat that exposure as market intelligence instead of just transaction volume tend to be the ones who eventually build portfolios.