Real Estate License

6 Replies

Im really interested in real estate investing, however my knowledge on real estate is very limited. I was wondering if taking the course to get my real estate license would be a benificial learning path. Has anyone else done this to get started?

@Justin Boudreaux Here in Rhode Island it is a requirement of obtaining your license to complete this class and pass the examination. It doesn't give you much useful knowledge about how things really work, but it does provide you with a solid foundation to build on.

Gregory Rice, Nexus Property Management | [email protected] | (401) 288‑1117 | http://www.NexRI.com

Hi @Justin Boudreaux

I live in Georgia, and it is a requirement here to take the classes as well. I just recently started my classes (last Thursday matter of fact) so that I can get licensed. Like you, I too have very limited RE knowledge. I am really enjoying my class so far. What I like the most about my class is that the instructor is a RE professional as well and not only does she give us answers so that we can pass the exam, she also gives us real world examples for when we begin practicing. I am taking classes with Barney Fletcher. I highly recommend you take classes somewhere. I feel like I am starting to be able to speak the language of RE now and as with any profession, that's always important. Hope this helps!

-Shirlynn

Thanks! I was looking for a way to get a general knowledge base not so much to become an agent. With all the fly by night workshops and seminars its hard to decifer the good from bad.

Hi @Justin Boudreaux

I would certainly recommend you get your RE license. You can find a lot of reasons on BP why people recommend getting a RE license especially if you are doing RE fulltime. Keep in mind it takes a lot of time and effort so its not as simple as attending a few classes. Below is a quick summary of what it takes to get a Sales Person pre-license

1. 75 hours - divided between a) Real Estate Fundamentals course 37.5 hours b)GA Real Estate practice 37.5

2. You need to take a test for both - means studying lot of concepts, fundamentals. Weekly quizzes, final test for the course(s)

3. Once you take the test you will have to take a State Exam - comprehensive

Classes cost 225-275/per course. In addition, you will have license fees, other formalities. So make sure you provision plenty of time from your schedule for studying, attending the classes etc.

It's well worth getting a RE license.

Good luck

@Justin Boudreaux - Not only will the course be beneficial to you, but being your own Realtor is a HUGE advantage.

Originally posted by @Justin Boudreaux :
Thanks! I was looking for a way to get a general knowledge base not so much to become an agent. With all the fly by night workshops and seminars its hard to decifer the good from bad.

No, the course does not help you learn much about real estate. What it does do is teach you about what you can and can't do in terms of contracts, agency etc.

Becoming an agent has a lot of advantages, but the class itself will make you very frustrated and disappointed.