Rules/Laws about Listing Property within 24 hrs of signing a contract

Rules/Laws about Listing Property within 24 hrs of signing a contract

Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 36 votes

I just recently got my real estate license and through a referal now have a client who wants to list their property. This is in Worcester, Massachusetts. I have met the client at the property and they are planning on doing some clean-up before the property is listed on the MLS. Someone told me that once I have my client sign a contact (Listing Agreement) that I am obligated to list the property on the MLS within 24 hours. Is this true?

Basically, I want to get the client to sign a contract so I can move forward but I am not sure if there is such a requiremnt to list the property 24 hours after signing a contract.

Thanks!

Mike

0Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
11y

Talk to your broker.

I believe there is a standard Delayed Listing form or something like that which is basically having the seller sign off on waiving that rule. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    11y

    Talk to your broker.

    I believe there is a standard Delayed Listing form or something like that which is basically having the seller sign off on waiving that rule. 

  • Foreclosure Specialist · Atlanta Georgia · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Broker participants and their agents must input exclusive right to sell or exclusive agency listings on one to four unit residential property and vacant residential lots located within the service area of the MLS within 72 hours (with no exceptions for weekends, holidays and postal holidays) after all necessary signatures of seller(s) have been obtained on the listing (7.5) or they will be fined.

  • Investor · Leominster, MA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 589 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed are you speaking about Georgia law or Massachusetts law?

  • Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    @Shaun Reilly

    I did find the MLS rules and regulations for Massachusetts and it does talk about having to list the property with MLS 24 hrs after signing a contract. But it also talks about a Delayed Listing Form as well that can be done. It says there does not have to be a date for this set when doing a Delayed Listing. I need to do some more reading on what is required.

    Mike

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mike Hoefling:

    @Shaun Reilly

    I did find the MLS rules and regulations for Massachusetts and it does talk about having to list the property with MLS 24 hrs after signing a contract. But it also talks about a Delayed Listing Form as well that can be done. It says there does not have to be a date for this set when doing a Delayed Listing. I need to do some more reading on what is required.

    Mike

    Yes exactly.

    Don't over think it.  Your brokerage should either have the form or you can get it off of the MLSPIN website I'm sure.

    I am looking at it right now as it is in my agent forms folder.  Simple 1 page doc you fill out and have them sign.  You then just send it to MLSPIN within 24 hours and you are good.

    If you have a agreed upon date put it in but if not you don't have to. 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    These are of course local MLS rules, not laws.

  • Mike HurneyPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 542 votes
    11y

    @Mike Hoefling Get the Listing agreement signed by the Owner, like now. Before someone else does...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.