• Real Estate Broker
  • Alameda, CA
Votes |
Real Estate Agent Blocking Buyers

Joshua Durrin
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Alameda, CA
Posted Nov 28 2015, 13:05
I'm dumbfounded by this behavior but see it all the time. I'm trying to buy properties. I'm a well-qualified, licensed broker and don't need representation. I don't have MLS access because I don't need it when buying properties. I reach out to the listing agent and ask to view the property. I give them my brokers license number and mention that I'm actually the interested buyer. And then they get all defensive and make it incredibly challenging to move forward. I don't get it. Why on earth would you, as an agent, make it difficult for ANYONE to put an offer on your listing? Latest bit of frustration is that I reached out to the listing agent on a property to ask about any special viewing instructions and get the lockbox code for the house. He asked for my name. I gave him my name and BRE number. He asked who would be representing me. I said I didn't need it, but still offered that if his seller would allow it that he could be a dual agent in the sale. Then he asked what I wanted to offer for the property. I said I'd like to view the property before actually making an offer (REO in need of moderate repairs by the looks of it) and the communication just went cold after that. I mean, seriously? What's with these kinds of agents? I encounter this nonsense ALL THE TIME!!! Were he listing my property I'd have fired him for not enabling ALL buyers to have an opportunity to submit an offer. Frankly, the "discrimination" in this case, while not illegal, is against his fiduciary duties as a representative of the seller. Secondly, who cares what offers are made? The seller can reject them all if they want... even an offer over the listing price! I further suggested to him that this sale could be a slam dunk as he has an industrial seller and a well educated buyer that he can represent. It's just baffling to me and just furthers my frustration with dealing with agents in this business. It leaves me questioning their competence as a real estate professional, as if they're scared to "go up against" another broker despite my repeated reassurance that I'm looking to COLLABORATE with them to accomplish our mutually aligned objectives of pairing a willing seller with a well-qualified buyer. But I'm often met with an adversarial OPPONENT when simply trying to make an offer. It's just baffling to me and frustrating to no end.

Loading replies...