Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Brett Tousley
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Richland, WA
Votes |
Is a wholesale different than a net listing for a licensed agent?

Brett Tousley
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Richland, WA
Posted Apr 5 2016, 11:47

Like any real estate broker, I run into investing opportunities during the course of my daily business.  I'll probably need to call an RE attorney and our State real estate commission for this issue but I thought I may get some good info here on BP before I do.

Considering I am a licensed agent/broker, I am not allowed to take a net listing.

Net listing meaning I list a house where the seller tells me they want $100,000.  but sell it for $150,000.  Give the seller their $100,000 and I pocket the surplus.

That seems to be very similar to what a wholesaler is doing except most do not have a license.

Of course I would disclose that I am licensed and planning to purchase and resell/assign for profit. 

If I know I can sell for $150,000.00 and the owner only wants $100,000.00 I see no conflict to purchase the home, I've done that before.

But the thought of putting it under contract and assigning the contract seems more murky as it is so similar to a net listing.

As a licensed agent/broker, is it possible for me to legally and ethically wholesale a property?

Loading replies...