Do investors seek Marines

34 Replies

I’m unsure if this is a common question but

Is basic leadership, risk management, and military experience sought out for investors to build there teams? If so do investors like to train these type of people to further there business?

Background on me I’m exiting the Marines fairly soon and well I would love to work for a investor to learn and be apart of a team out side of the Marines. They are unlike just applying to a normal job so any advice on how to attracted or get involved with someone in need of a background like my self.

@Sheldon Santos

Honestly, I see “investors” as rather individualistic. One builds teams of skills/ trades if you notice. Granted, there are partnerships but it’s usually more footing or two different skill sets or resources. It’s like a military task force being composed of sub-fire team sized elements or even just individuals...

Sounds you are looking to be mentored. Investors aren’t really multi-person “companies” with an internal career path.

All that being said, investors will help others out sometimes. It’s not necessarily that cutthroat, otherwise this bp probably wouldn’t exist.

I see it as a very entrepreneurial endeavor. You may notice there isn’t much talk of employees...

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Well, I avoid jarheads because I'm an ex-squid 😜  

OK, now that the military humor is out of the way, I love hiring vets when possible because I like the military approach to chain of command and resourcefulness. When I was on my ship, if my equipment broke I got it running with whatever was lying around. So did everyone else. A lot of REI is figuring out ways over, under, through, and around obstacles. So your job is going to be finding someone you want to work with/for, and then convincing them how your background is going to make them more successful.

Always approach working for/with someone else as what's in it for them. They don't want to know/hear what's in it for you. Your benefits should be obvious through the value you provide to them. 

@David Pere I am at Camp Lejeune NC. I have looked into the skillbride but with me coming off the MEU and TRS backed up I don’t start until Dec and that dose not align with any class dates. I am heading to north CA the Stockton Sacramento area. Mostly I’m interested in putting my skills to use and work for someone. I will not only further there business but it’s a good way for me to learn.

@JD Martin that’s a great point. I will sit down this weekend and see what value I can bring them. It’s definitely different but I’m ready to move forward in any aspect of the house world. Ohh and by the way I went on a MEU so I get y’all’s squid life lol not fun!

@Sheldon Santos makes sense I would suggest looking on some local FB groups and/or biggerPockets meetups to find some local investors in that area. I might know somebody you could skillbridge with, but if that isn't an option, networking is where you should start!

@Sheldon Santos

So, here's the "thing" that nobody seems to be addressing...  What are you going to be doing?  That was kind of my point.  Unless you are hired for some sort of firm, most investing that I am aware of is pretty individualistic, and people get into from some sort of angle.  It sounds like you talking about project management...

Otherwise, you guys are a pretty tight knit group i have to say. Maybe another Marine will help you out. Try looking for a Real Estate Investing group. Start with the National Real Estate Investing Association (NREIA) and see what local REIA chapters are around. Look for REI groups that aren't part the NREIA.

I guess all I'm saying is I'm not using to seeing "employment" in investing.  It sounds like a catch-22 issue, but what is it that you plan on bringing to this team you want to join?  Well, I guess this is part of the transition.  I'd be happy to chat to try figure out a direction for you.  send me a direct message if you are interested.

Good luck.

@David M. I agree. The substance of what the OP will be bringing to the investor or investment team (?) is not being discussed here. 

As a Marine that has fully transitioned to "the real world", I would suggest primarily using your military background for networking. After that, focus on what value you will be providing. If you were an NCO and had great decision-making skills, focus on those skills and leave the military background out of it. It's super-annoying to hear vets try to talk up their military experience in order to get into jobs. Subtle references to your experiences and development within the military is fine, just don't overdo it. 

It seems like you are trying to find a real estate investor that is in need of a protege' of sorts. So, in this case, maybe leverage your military background to meet that person, but then leverage your skills to bring value to the investor.

@Robert Lipscomb i appreciate your input. You are definitely right about not completely relying on my Military experience. I will work harder to find ways to transfer those things back into the “real world” if you have any tips on that front I’m always open to more criticism and suggestions.

I’m just looking for peoples view point on what I can do to better my self to work for someone in that field in some fashion. Possibly as a project manager to take the stress off them because as a Marine you know we have a tolerance for stress. 

@Sheldon Santos , I'm a real estate agent and investor in the Camp Lejeune area. @Sean McDonnell is a colleague and friend of mine who hosts a Pints & Properties REI meetup in Surf City every month. Here is the link to the event if you're interested: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

I'm also a member of a Jacksonville REI Meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/ENC-Rea....   
Hope to see you around!

@Sheldon Santos

It’s already been suggested, but I would definitely try and use the skill bridge program with an out of state or local real estate investor. It’s a great way to bring value to a successful real estate investor by providing free labor at the military’s expense while gaining knowledge and experience. I would network with a lot of people on here first and try and find somebody I can bring value to, be creative, and come to them with a solution to one of their problems. Things like free manual labor, bookkeeping, driving for dollars, anything to make it easier on the investor in exchange for mentorship can be worth millions

@Jabbar Adesada yeah I totally agree with you with the exchange of work for a little education. A little extra work never hurt no one. When it comes to skillbridge, it is a awesome program but it’s not as realistic for all Marines to use because of our deployment cycles and how backed up TRS is. That something I feel out installations need to invest more in.

@Sheldon Santos

Pick a field like construction manager, or realestate something that will give you a foot in the door. Once you’ve entered the field then you can apply your military experience. You can always just learn to invest with a house hack and turn that into real estate investing.

@Sheldon Santos

There is a BP Rookies podcast where they interviewed an investor that is/was a marine, and he is successful already. Check the podcast out because he gives his contact info for those with questions or just want to make contact.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Sheldon Santos :

I’m unsure if this is a common question but

Is basic leadership, risk management, and military experience sought out for investors to build there teams? If so do investors like to train these type of people to further there business?

Background on me I’m exiting the Marines fairly soon and well I would love to work for a investor to learn and be apart of a team out side of the Marines. They are unlike just applying to a normal job so any advice on how to attracted or get involved with someone in need of a background like my self.

Congrats thinking ahead.  A lot of us didn't have a lot of aspirations.

It might just be me, but I didn't and don't advertise my service.  I could follow orders, complain in a long series of expletives,  keep my head down and stay in my lane.  Conditions were usually horrible, so I learned to 'adapt and overcome' but generally not really a breeding ground for entrepreneurial endeavors. 

No reason to not network with other vets, just know most are regular working Joe's. Work. Paycheck. Pension. It's new training.  Stay motivated to learn and find your why.  SF. 

@Steve Vaughan yes it is a common thing I see with my buddy’s going back into the real world and they struggle. I just want people like my self to bring value into the world we are re entering. They have so many good skills like what you said “staying in there lane” wing a good follower is so valuable I feel. But hey I appreciate your input and am taking everyone’s advice.

Thank you